factory wiring harness

I have a 1995 suburban with a flat 4 prong plug , I recently purchased a car trailer with brakes requiring a 7 point . I also purchased a seperate brake controler,harness and 7 point plug. after doing a little looking around on my truck I noticed wires in the factory harness already on the truck . My question is do I still have to hook up the seperate trailer brake controller or is there a way to work this off the existing brake system without it ? I havent noticed a seperate controller on newer trucks it appears to be just a plug and go system ?

Reply to
pbbullard

It won't work off the existing system without a controller. BUT, if there's an unused 12 ga BLUE wire back there, it's a good possibility your truck is already wired for the controller. Look in the owners manual for the location of the factory plug under the dash. If so equipped, it sure saves a bunch of trouble.

Reply to
Steve Barker