front driveshaft questions

When removing the front dshaft on 98 tahoe, whats the easiest way to replace the boot at the tcase. Looks like you will destroy the ring holding it on upon removal. Maybe zip tie or hose clamp. Also doesnt look like theres enough forward room to clear the tcase when pulling it out. One more, where do you put the special grease to stop the clunk?? on the splines of the rear driveshaft going into the tcase the tcase before the drive shaft or on the splines of the front dshaft going into the tcase Do you really have to get the grease from the dealer? Thanks Tony

Reply to
Rokihora

I just get a new clamp ... I have reused one before, but it can be difficult...Wouldn't try a tie wrap, and I am not sure if a hose clamp would either fit correctly, or maybe effect balance.. I know it's not a lot of weight, but it can spin pretty fast... If you don't want to spend the few dollars at a dealer, there are aftermarket cv shaft clamps that might work.. as for the special grease, yup, pull the rear driveshaft and lube the splines on the inside of the driveshaft.I don't know how special the grease is, but that's what is recommended by gm, and I have a can of it on my bench, so that's what I use.. you might get some answers form DIY's out there as to is there is an equivelant... Bobo

Reply to
Bobo

The couple of bux on the clamp is no biggie, but it looks like a crimp style something. Does it take a special tool or is that what they use from the factory, but replacement is a different maybe worm style drive. And is there enough room for the yoke to fall from the t/c when pulling the ds foreward. Looks like it may hit inbetween the tcase and exhaust. thanks again Tony

Reply to
Rokihora

Reply to
Bobo

transfer case encoder motor assembly???? what where how?? pic maybe thanks Tony

Reply to
Rokihora