91 XJ: front driveshaft double-cardan lubrication

If I jack up both front tires of my cherokee, apply the parking brake and put the auto-trans in neutral and leave the xfer case in 4WD will I be able to freely rotate the front driveshaft so I can get to all the zerk grease fittings?

Also, what's the double cardan joint ball for? In looking at the exploded diagram of the double cardan joint in the front driveshaft (right next to the xfer case) there is a ball fitting that looks like its got a grease fitting. What I'm wondering is why you need this spring-ball at all. If the spiders are handling all the load from transferring power from the driveshaft through the double cardan joint then what is the point of the ball that goes between the spider and the center yoke in the double cardan joint?

Reply to
Doug

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill, the thing is, I've never even been able to see that grease fitting (for the ball), no matter how much I rotate the front driveshaft. Does the ball and spring put pressure on the spider? Is this how it stops the double-cardan joint from wobbling?

Reply to
Doug

The thing is Bill, with the double-cardan joint installed, I can't even see that zerk fitting (for the double-cardan joint ball). The skid plate that holds up the xfer case is right there in the way, but even then the zerk fitting is covered by the knuckle of the spider.

Does the double-cardan joint ball and spring assembly put pressure on the spider to prevent wobbling?

Thanks for all your responses and advice too Bill. I really appreciate it. Were you a mechanic in a previous life (maybe after you were in the army)? What unit were you in when you were in the army?

Reply to
Doug

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'm not as talented as Bill. I find I have to detach the front shaft from the transfer case to get the grease needle to the socket ball.

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

More precisely, in the differential, the 'spider' is comprised of the two 'spider gears' and the 'spider cross shaft' that pins them to the case. The other two gears, the ones on each side connected to the ends of the axles, are called 'side gears' or 'end gears'. The 'spider' gets its name from the way it can crawl around on a side gear just like an arachnid doing a 180 degree turn.

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Bill, I noticed your Chevron station was near (or on) Foothill Blvd. Is that the Foothill Blvd. that runs thru Sylmar, Sun Valley and near Mt. Baldy? Why did you give up on your Chevron station? It looks like your station was a full-serve. I always thought there was a lot of money to be made in automobile service?

Was that pic of the Pomona dragstrip? I think that's the only dragstrip left in Southern California now.

Reply to
Doug

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The Jacket was from Pomona fair grounds, where they hold the> Winternationals now. The picture was taken in my front yard, when I was> home on ARMY leave '64 to give me something to carry with me, to show my> buddies, while the showed pictures of their girl.> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Steve

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

If the tcase was set to N or 2HI, you will be able to turn the front driveshaft, but in 4HI or 4LO, the front will not turn because the rear will have it locked up.

The double cardan is a kind of universal joint, it is not a ball joint.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes. The spring presses on the inside of that ball, and this keeps the joints lined up.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I thought you started your military with some guy named Washington. He made it onto the dollar bill, you are still a nobody ... How'd that happen?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Bill's station was in Vista, CA, not Pomona.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III