Fuel Pump Heartache

Looks as if I started one heck of a thread....

ANYhow.... I finally had the opportunity to get the old beast out on the thruway for some needed throttle mashing.

I'm still getting a sluggish feeling in the 2500-4000K RPM range, and a general slight lack of power. If I put it to the foor thru all the gears, it "stutters". Driving it normal, and going thru the gears slowly, results in good performance. Any ideas?

I installed new cap, rotor, wires, plugs (gapped before install), air filter all last month. PCV valve appears to working OK. Vaccuum is strong and steady. New PCM temp sensor last year.

Any troubleshooting text I've read points to ignition issues, but what the heck could it be?

Could the injectors be dirty? Could I have a bad pickup plate in the distributor? Do I need to get a fuel pressure guage on the throttle body?

I'm getting stumped real fast on this one, and am looking to try all options before driving it up to the dealer.

Thanks Rick K

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Nobody

The Worlds Uncensored News Source >

Reply to
ronlin

OOOOOPS! Forgot to mention I changed the fuel filter. That was my very first thought, but that was done at the same time the pump was. One would think to remember such a knuckle busting job....

> The Worlds Uncensored News Source >>

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Nobody

Didn't see my reply post hit the group... Anyway, yes, I did replace the fuel filter, at the same time I did the pump....

[copy/paste from original post]:

[...]

Come to think of it, the distributor in my dad's '91 was replaced in '96 for the same problem, but he had some sensor issues as well. No security system installed.

Does anyone happen to know if the distributor from a 305 will fit my

350? The 305 has close to 300K miles on it, and runs better than my engine. If I swap, and the problem goes away, I'll just buy a new dist.

I am leaning towards ignition issues and/or the EGR system. I've always had a slight miss, ever since I got the truck with 22K miles on it back in 97, and its gotten progressively worse.. With 120K on it, it's probly ready for an EGR valve anyway.

Thanks for the reply...