Ghost in the machine!

I have a 94 chevy pu trk 1500 2 wheel dr.last week it would not start, the engine turns but will not start. Of all places a gas station first of all I thought it was trouble with the gas(no problem before) then i poured some gas in the thottle body and it turned over. Bad fuel pump it must be right, well I called a tow truck and when the guy gets ready to tow the truck It starts like there was never a problem? then one week later it does the same thing I was driving parked the truck about 1/2 hr. later I go to start it and the engine turns but will not start I sprayed starter fluid down the t.b. starts for a few seconds and stops. So I called again for a tow trk. ,When he gets there I show him it turns but will not start .He picks up the front and gets ready to drive off and I said wait a minute one more try and you guess itmy truck starats up like no problemo . what could this be I replaced fuel filter by the tank ,dist. cap & rotor. was it picking up the front end, or something .Or did putting the truck in neutral have something to do with it.( 3 sp automatic) something Electrical or trouble in the tank with the fuel pump. Open for suggestions !!!

Reply to
roy kistner

Roy, the next time it happens,(and it will), try turning on the key and thumping the fuel tank with a jack handle or some similar device. If the pump starts, get it somewhere and have it replaced before the tow drivers put you on their no go list.

Reply to
JR

I had a Ford pickup once that did the same thing, ie would only start sometimes, and I determined that it was not getting fuel. Problem turned out to be the fuel pump relay would stick from time to time and prevent the electric fuel pump from operating. I may be wrong, but I think the fuel pump relay is under the hood and in a box with similar relays. If so, the next time it does not start, try switching the fuel pump relay with a known good one. Regards, SF

Reply to
sf/gf

Reply to
roy kistner

Roy, if you have a distributor ( some models don't these days ), there is a black little 'thingy' on the base of the distrib that a large (6 pin?) connector plugs in the back.

replace it.

someone here might be able to name it.

HDS

Reply to