how do I disable fulltime driving lights???

Does anyone know how to disable the full time function of the headlight system so that they will only work in the traditional manner of using the light switch when I want to have the lights on.

Reply to
HodgesMPA

Before you do this, do you realize that most insurance companies give discounts for daytime running lights? They don't hurt anything, why do you want them disabled anyway?

Reply to
Randy Howard

Reply to
Bobo

======================= Yep, here we go again....................................................................... ............................................................................ ......

Reply to
Scott M

again.......................................................................

Bobo

"Bobo" wrote

Give it a little bit of time, Bobo...you get used to the nonsense that happens in these newsgroups. Everybody is an expert......especially the odd one that likes to repeat automotive old wives tales.

Keep up the good work...and all your good advice.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

=========================== LOL Bobo. The only reason I could think of to want to disable DRLs is for cop cars. (non police versions of cars that cops use) You know the reason why motorcycle headlights are on all the time? It saves the riders life because people dont see them comming. Well guess what? Same with a car. These "gotta kill the DRLs now!" types even go so far as to say that the use of DRLs creates accidents! LOL give me a break. Bottom line for me....I dont care if you have them or not, its just alot easier to leave the stupid car alone. Now, let the thread grow like a weed................And let the flaming begin. :)

Reply to
Scott M

=========================== Hey Bobo, speaking of crying. I dont know how long you've been a tech but. Remeber when fuel injection first came out on american cars? all the crying that went on? Now most people wouldnt have a carb to save there lives! LOL (including me) :)

Reply to
Scott M

Reply to
George

Maybe if you read the research literature you would not need a "break". The fact is, DRLs DO cause an increase in some types of accidents. They also decrease some types of accidents. The bottom line is that they are a tradeoff and not everyone likes them. I find them extremely irritating because at least half of them are a half-assed design that glares in people eyes.

Bottom line for me....I dont

Reply to
AZGuy

Best one I heard was that it causes unneeded strain on the electrical system. Like the TWO bulbs will draw THAT much power to cause the alternator fail 40,000 miles sooner. Running lights on my truck are on all the time, and I'm talking low beam headlights, taillights, everything. The switch is on the way from the parking brake release to the wheel, so I give it a little push and on the lights go. Alternator lasted 115,000 miles, with 60,000 of those under my control.

Reply to
Mike Levy

========================== Sorry, but I dont have alot of faith in alot of statistics and "research literature". Im the paranoid kind of guy that thinks that too often "researchers" find what they are looking for even if it doesnt exist - for many different reasons. A couple of reasons are: To keep a job by creating more "reseach" because of there findings. To satisfy a paying customer, like a lawyer, ect.... I could be wrong, but I really dont think that DRLs cause accidents (maybe extremly rarely) but not even close enough to outway the benifits. I dont enjoy stairing at high beams in the day or night anymore than the next guy but it really doesnt bother me enough to campain for their demise or worry about killing my own lights because "I just dont like them". Like I said before, it's your truck, I dont really care, it is just alot easier not to worry about it. Just my opinion.......p.s. the only reason I responded was I like Bobo, I enjoyed his "crying remark", agree with him, and I'm a little bored :)

Reply to
Scott M

======================= It could just be that the company knows which cars have them and dont have to ask. I know they know which cars have airbags....Some do ask about those damn ABS brakes too :)

Reply to
Scott M

Find a better insurance company. USAA definitely asked about it and it is *a good thing* according to them.

Reply to
Randy Howard

They were required by law in Canada long before they were here. It's why some cars here came with them for a while, and some didn't. It was cheaper on some models to just make one version that could be sold in both the US and Canada.

Reply to
John Alt

Allstate has a bunch of discounts. I am getting, Safe driver, multiple vehicle, multiple policy(homeowners through them), Air bags (different amount if Drivers side only or driver/pass., ABS, DRLs, Driver Course (free through my old employer, good for 10% off), and anti-theft. They ask you what options you have that were available on each vehicle, according to the computer list for that year/make/model. Some are automatic because the item (air bags and ABS for one) are standard items.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
sidewinder

Beats the hell out of me why anybody would want to do this.. it can't be an aesthetics thing because once you are inside the car, it really wouldn't matter if they were on or not..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Once Upon A Time before airbags were universal I compared rates at Allstate on two otherwise identical same-year new cars. One with airbags and one without.

The airbag car got a $7 discount. Which was countered with a $10 increase due to the cost of replacing the airbags.

Lesson: learn to use your seatbelt properly. Heck, the airbag doesn't work right without the seatbelt in any case.

Reply to
David Kelly

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 12:16:03 -0500, Mike Hall top-posted:

I would like to be able to turn my DRL's off if for no other reason than as a way to signal other drivers. Is better than flashing the brights.

Reply to
David Kelly