how do I disable fulltime driving lights???

I just pulled the associated fuse on mine. Now all I see is a darn green indicator on the instrument panel. Its a big probloem setting in the dark with the engine running waiting for the folks in a Jiffy Mart to clear out so you can pull a heist. Those darn DRL's give you away Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever.Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Good point... but changing from regular lights down to DRL and back should be enough of a clue. If they don't get the hint... there are bigger issues. Still, the trade off for your security is probably not as good as a warning for others about their lights.

Reply to
Todd Copeland

I agree with the not hurting anything. Several yrs. ago there was an add on lite you could mout on the grill that stayed on all the time too.

Reply to
LARRY929

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 23:15:06 +0000, Todd Copeland top-posted:

Usually the issue is an oncoming idiot who has not turned on his lights after dark. So what I'd like to (easily) do is turn mine off too, for a moment so (s)he might get the idea that I think its dark outside.

My it-knows-better-than-me 2001 Sonoma has automatic headlights. Not only do I not have a means of turning off the DRLs but I also lack a means of preventing the headlights from coming on at night. I can force the headlights and running lights on during the day, but not off at night.

Not that I'd want to switch to DRLs at night because they are nothing more than the high beam on low voltage. Low voltage or not, they are shining in the other guys face which is exactly what I'm wishing to avoid by not flashing my brights at full power.

While I'm on the topic of headlights I'd like to have a motorized servo to lower my lights from the cab when I have a load in back. No, I don't want air adjustable assist for the rear as its carrying the load just fine but for headlight aim. With 400 pounds in back its getting bad. With 750 pounds its pretty bad but the ride is pretty good.

Reply to
David Kelly

That's fairly easy to do, in that the new model Chevy trucks have an "off" button that works until you manually turn them back on, or turn the engine off and back on, in which case it resets as well. The off is a left turn of the light dial, which it will "bounce back" from. At this point they stay off, until you flip them back up to on and back to auto.

Reply to
Randy Howard

Reply to
Bobo

will......Bobo ========================== LOL I just raised my hand btw.......

Reply to
Scott M

Reply to
Mike Levy

What kind of vehicle is it?

I may be able to dig it up.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

Might not be how the vehicle looks to 'you' (the driver), but how it looks to others.

Personally, I can see why someone would want them off for asthetic reasons.

I swapped my clear bulbs out for amber ones. Set's it a bit more apart from the others.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

The auto headlight mod is a simple fix... all you need is a resistor at Radio Shack...

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

Reply to
sidewinder

Hi!

I'm generally in favor of the DRLs and auto headlights on my truck, in fact I'd have to say that the auto lights have spoiled me to an extent.

...but there are still plenty of times I would just as soon not have them on. Period. Sure, you can turn them off with the dome override button, but I'm going to wear that thing out clicking it all the time.

Wouldn't have hurt in the slightest to have a dedicated switch for the purpose.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Thanks for the laugh!

It is a lot less fun to head down the driveway with all your lights on and knowing where you'll be going. I much prefer heading down the driveway in total darkness and wondering if I'll run over any toys, soda cans, the lawn mower, etc, or if I'll tap the Buick on stands at the side of the driveway and knock it off.

:-D

It is too bad that the DRL on my S-10 is the high beam bulb...I liked the use of amber bulbs that the other poster recommended...somehow I think amber high beams would be illegal...if not extremely hard to find!

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Just don't get caught driving with just the marker lights on, good for a ticket in NY and a bunch of other states as well, Dodge actually issued little stickers for the Caravans that used the front marker lights as DRLs because of the complaints about tickets.

Reply to
Steve W.

Did GM put stickers on the last generation of f-bodies? The Camaro's and Firbird's used the parking lights as drl's.

Reply to
Markeau

And at least on the 01's you can punch the dome light switch like 3x or so and they will go out for that run.

Reply to
Markeau

In my 2004 Silverado (I've had it 8 days), there is an off setting if you want to turn off the DRL or the regular lights at night. It resets when you re-start the engine.

This is my first vehicle with DRL and I just let them run normally, leaving my set on auto most the time. But I really appreciate the off setting for those special circumstances where you need to be sneaky. No, not jackin' Jiffy Mart. But like last night, I was dropping off a surprise birthday present for a friend and I turned off the lights as I approached their house. Also good when playing Santa Claus.

Reply to
Sinjin

______

Just a thought on DRL: I had 'em on my '99 Venture van and absolutely loved them. When it went off lease, I bought a Honda Odyssey (a mistake that will be corrected; the Venture was the best new vehicle I have ever owned!) and I really missed the automatic lights.

Last month, I added a new Silverado to the family fleet, and once again I am delighted with the headlights! I can't imagine why anyone would want to turn off DRL or do without the automatic function.

Marshall

Reply to
Marshall Schuon

ever owned!) and I really missed the automatic lights.

I love the Automatic lights on my 03 Silverado. I never have to do anything. No worry about leaving my lights on my accident. In fact I wish every car out there had them. There are just to many Idiots out there Driving around in the Dark or the Fog, ect, with there lights OFF for some unknown reason. Look at 99% of people out there that don't use turn signals. Hell, if Brake lights weren't automatic, you wouldn't see people using them either. Hell most people wouldn't bother turning on there headlights except for the fact that they have a hard time seeing the road otherwise. What's the big deal about DRL also? There on, I can't see them. They're not blinding from other cars that have them. Wither they do any good is anyone's guess. I have better things to worry about them DRL!

Reply to
JBDragon