VIN Number on a Ford Ranger Bed?

I need to know where the VIN number is on the actual bed on a Ford Ranger. It's a 97 Ranger / Splash. I need the VIN number to use it on another truck.

Reply to
shotgunmess

You need the VIN to use the VIN on another truck, or you need VIN to use the bed on another truck?

Either way, I don't see the importance of finding it unless you are doing something shady...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

My truck was rear ended. I bought it from the insurance company. and bought a replacement bed off ebay. But since it's a salvage title now, I need to get it inspected. I was told I would need the VIN for the inspection process, but the seller doesn't know it. He bought it a few years ago and never used it. Nothing shady, but I'm beginning to think a salvage title is a pain in the neck. (Maybe it was just from being rear ended:))

Reply to
shotgunmess

OK, so you bought a collision part. I can't see who would care - can you expand on this at all? I'm guessing that if you have to have it "inspected"(by who?) they will quickly find the VIN if "they" are trained to identify parts by VIN.

There are aftermarket sources for collision parts, or from Ford, w/o a VIN. What do "they" expect in these cases?

That said, Ford parts have the VIN stickers along/near seams in jambs or other hidden(with all doors closed) areas.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I am certainly not a body guy. But the guy who I plan to take it to mentioned that I will need a VIN tag for the bed. The seller didn't have anything like that. He offered to have a notarized statement that he sold me the bed. However, I called the Ohio Highway Patrol who will be doing the inspection, and the trooper I spoke with said that I would need to provide something formal with the VIN information on the vehicle the bed came from, otherwise they could not accept it, and would not pass it on inspection. I can't provide this based on what I currently have. I was hoping that if the seller of the bed and I could come up with the VIN, we could in fact include that on the Notarized receipt he would provide. I just don't want to get the bed on the truck, only to find that I can't drive the vehicle or worse yet it might be siezed due to something like this. All of this to prevent the use of stolen parts I'm sure. I'm just hoping to get it sorted out. Even worse is the fact that the soonest inspection available is over a month away. I planned to have the truck back in operation this week.

Reply to
shotgunmess