level

I have a 2000 2wd silverado. I want to raise the front to sit level with the back. What is the "best" way to do this?

Reply to
News Group

Check out this web sight.

I just put this on my truck yesterday. I haven't had it long enough to form an opinion,but it did the job. The truck is setting level.

Reply to
me

Reply to
Mike Levy

The Easiest and cheapest way to level your truck is to lower the Rear end! You can buy a pair of Longer Rear leaf spring shackles. This in effect lowers the back end down and levels your truck. I install these all the time. It shouldn't take you more then a hour to do. Takes me half that time with a rack and Air tools. Much better to go this way then trying to Raise the front up when you just want to level the truck.

Reply to
JBDragon

This is because he's posting info for Leveling a 4x4 truck! There's NO torsion bar keys on a 2wd truck which is what was being asked in the first place. Besides you can lower the Rear end of a 4x4 also using longer rear shackles and it'll be half the price and NOT screw up your front alignment. If your putting keys in a 4x4 to Raise the front up. Not only does it screw up the Alignment, but if you raise it up to much more, you'll get the Alignment so screwed up that it won't be possible to get it all in specs.

Reply to
JBDragon

Coil spring spacers...3/4T front springs...

Reply to
Shades

Yes, He did say 2wd truck. I missed that, sorry. But as far as alignment goes I had my truck aliened at the time of install and it all came in spec. with no problems. The cost was $260 for the keys installed and $150.00 for the alignment. Did I pay to much?

Reply to
me

Coil spring spacers are CRAP! I won't put that garbage on anyone's car/truck. Extended Rear Leaf spring shackles is the way to go for leveling a truck out!!! It's Simple, Cheap, and doesn't change how your truck rides or handles.

But hey, I see it all the time with the Buicks and Cadillac's, etc coming into the shop with Spacers in their coil springs so they can fit their 20" or 22" wheels on the cars. Looks like crap, rides like crap. But if that's really what you want, go for it. It's a HACK. I don't do HACKS.

Reply to
JBDragon

Pay to much?!?! Not really. At least when going with Raising the front up. You could have gotten Rear Left spring shackles and lowered the Rear end to level the truck out also. Would have required NO Alignment, So you could have saved $150. On the other hand, It's a 4x4, and a little up is always preferred over a little down, unlike a 2wd. Besides it's always a good thing to get your Alignment checked and make sure everything is good. Get the best mileage out of the tires. Make sure you Rotate your tires also! Every 5,000 or so. They'll last a lot longer. Doesn't matter how good the Alignment is. Most places will do that for FREE if you bought the tires there. Others a small fee. If you change your Oil every 3,000 miles(which I think is a little to soon), Get the tires rotated over other Oil change. While that's getting done, a quick peek at the brakes to keep a eye on those. Then you don't end up with the brakes grinding.

Reply to
JBDragon

Next time your getting yours aligned ask the guy doing it to raise the ass end two inches and watch the front end specs. Caster is going to change and so is camber. Thats why I always recommended my customers bring their rigs in loaded as they normally would be.

On the other hand, It's a 4x4, and a little up is

I must really do mine too soon as I do them between 2,000 and 2,500 miles, but then shes got 210,000 miles, idles hot with 40psi and cruises with

60psi, no smoke, no rattle, doesnt use a a drop between changes, and when I replaced the timing chain at 170,000 (preventative maint, and the only repair thats been done to the engine) the engine I could see with the timing chain cover off was clean as a whistle. Oil and filters are cheap. That old Fram ad always comes to mind, the one with the mechanic holding a filter saying "you can pay me now", or pointing behind him in the next frame to an engine coming out, "or you can pay me later"

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I would prefer to raise the front. I have a PIAA air dam and it hangs down a little lower then the stock one. So a little more Clearance would be good.

Reply to
News Group

Changing the Rear Shackles to level a truck is NOT going to change any Camber/Caster Readings that it had before it was done! The Weight is the SAME. If you lift up or push down on the bumper for example your changing how it normally sits at ride height. Moving the back of the leaf spring up higher a couple inches from stock won't change anything.

Having a full tank of gas compared to a Empty tank of gas will have a affect. Just a person getting into the Car/Truck will have a affect on the Readings. This all is adding or removing weight from the suspension. You align a vehicle as close to the middle of the Specs so that Minor changes like this will still not throw the specs all out of whack. If your Always driving around will the back of your truck loaded up, that's how you want to get it aligned. That much of a weight difference unloaded will greatly change your Alignment.

I do alignments, I do Lift and Lower and level jobs, among other things. I get Brand New trucks in from the dealers, Mainly from Toyota and Ford and Level those all the time, usually while adding 20 or 22" wheels. I've done enough Alignment checks on trucks after they've been leveled to see them be perfect and not have to do a thing to them, and they still rides like Stock!

Reply to
JBDragon

Raising the front on a 2wd truck is more of a hassle, time and money then just lowering the back with some shackles. Unless you want to half ass it and throw in coil spring spacers. Or course doing so changes how your truck is going to ride and handle. Which is crap. Or you get new Coil springs to raise the front up. Either way, if it's to drastic, you may not get the front end of your truck totally in Alignment specs.

That Air Dam must hang down pretty low to be a problem on a stock front end. It's either a bad design or not installed right.

Reply to
JBDragon

It does hang down lower then stock. Check here for pictures.

Which is better, new coil springs or new spindles?

Reply to
News Group

It depends on what you can get. I don't normally Raise the front ends on

2wd trucks to level them out. But If I had my pick, I'd go with spindles. Doing that would keep the front alignment closer in specs then changing springs. Besides if you did the job yourself, it'll be easier to swap out the spindles then having to deal with swapping out the springs. Personally I don't think your Air Dam looks all that low. On my 03 Chevy I've lowered in 2" in the front and 4" in the back to lower & level is out. My Bumper Air Dam isn't normally a problem and it's pretty low. Sometimes though if I'm not careful and Park where the Air dam will rub up over the Top of something, and then when I back up it pulls the sides down off the bumper. I've had to fix it a few times. If my truck was at normal height up front I wouldn't have any problem.

Reply to
JBDragon

That is what I am running into, most of the time it fits fine. But I would like to level the truck and protect the air dam at the same time.

Can you recommend a specific spindle?

Reply to
News Group