Lowering/Leveling Question '96 1500

Sorry if this has been covered before.
1996 GMC Sierra SLE shortbed/Ext Cab
I want to level the truck out and have been looking at shackles that say
they can drop it 2".
There are currently shackles installed that appear to be original. Distance between upper and lower shackle bolts is 4.5 inches.
Can someone go over the procedure to install "lowering shackles" without removing the hangers, and maybe explain how the shackles work, as compared with the stock(?) ones.
Photo of Rt rear shackle below
http://www.boatcop.com/shack1.jpg
Thanks
--
Alan Nelson
www.boatcop.com
"Alan Nelson" <anelson(Symbol 4 AT) rraz.net> wrote in message

Distance

"Alan Nelson" <anelson(Symbol 4 AT) rraz.net> wrote in message

Alan,
I have a set on my 88' C1500 and have no complaints. They dropped the rear end 2 1/4" and now she sits nice and level. It does not look "lowered" just doesn't look all jacked up in the ass end. Handling, towing and load carrying capacity were all unaffected. For $70 it sure does look better.
Installation is straight forward, BUT (there is always a but) the shackle bolts can be a real bugger to get out of the shackle bushing. Have a 1/2 inch impact wrencg, air hammer and torch handy. The rubber bushing vulcanizes to the bolt itself over time, making it impossible to get the bolt out. Given you have a newer truck, you're should come out easy; I had to cut mine out.
Doc

Thanks. Now that it's been explained, I can visualize how they work. I was stumped by the longer/shorter deal.
Now, any recommendations on which brands are best? DJM? Belltech? Western? Performance Accessories? Desert Steel?
Which not to use?
Graspable or non?
I've got the impact tools, and plan to soak them for a few days in penetrating oil before I tackle the shackle.
--
Alan Nelson
www.boatcop.com
"Alan Nelson" <anelson(Symbol 4 AT) rraz.net> wrote in message

"Alan Nelson" <anelson(Symbol 4 AT) rraz.net> wrote in message

Alan, I've had both DJM and Belltech. Just get the cheapest one you can find. There's little if any difference in the brands.
Kyle
I just removed the overload springs on my 95 Sierra 1/2 ton SWB, & it drives lots easier & leveled it out perfectly. I don't haul that much in it so it works out great for me. I have, on ocasion,, hauled approximately 900 lbs & it didn't squat it hardly at all. So,, ya might try that first. Good Luck Rich
"Alan Nelson" <anelson(Symbol 4 AT) rraz.net> wrote in message

Distance
Thanks for all the advice. I got a set of SpringTech shackles on ebay. 50 bucks (including shipping). 2 hours in the driveway and the truck leveled out nicely. 32" to the fenders, front and rear.
Had to drop the hitch to pull the bolts out, but that was only a minor setback. The shackle bolts came out relatively easy. Not too much corrosion out here in the desert.
Thanks again for the advice.
--
Alan Nelson
www.boatcop.com