new info

I checked the ODB scanner again this morning and it's reporting a misfire on #4 (p0304).

I didn't let it run long but suspect it would report the random misfire again. Its running way too rough to be just the #4 cylinder.

Reply to
wilmesr

sorry, this should have gone here...

wilmesr

I just read the thread and I am going through the EXACT same thing on a 96 Vortec 5.7. Random misfire codes, good at idle, but surges real bad in drive (at a stop with foot on brake). The "clacking" turned out to be the gears on the distributor not meshing correctly. The guy I had look at it (after I changed the intake manifold gasket 2x) siad that I failed to put the "o" ring back on the distributor and the angle of the shaft (not to mention the gasket that came with the kit was too thick) caused my problem. I have a distributor on order now and I will have to wait to see the verdict.

Eightupman

Eightupman

Sure hope all it did was mess up the gear on the shaft, and not the teeth on the cam shaft. If it was just the gear on the distrib messed up, why not just change the gear?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

No, I looked at the cam gear the best I could and it did not look like anything was wrong with it. Nothing like the dist shaft anyway.

I did not change the gear for two reasons. 1. With the Limited Lifetime Warranty receipt in hand the guy at the parts store ordered me a new one (wife works there so I have an "in"), of which I got next day. 2.) Just the gear was 5 days out. Now I just have to find the time to see if this will fix it

Do you think this could have caused my problem? (see Update repeat 1996 Chevy Van problem (ping Ian??)

Thanks

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman