2000 running rough/engine check light

I just tried to start my car and it's running rough and the engine check light came on. It worked fine this morning going into work. This is identical to what happened to me about a month ago. I got new plug wires (they were still the originals) and plugs and that fixed it. Now the same exact thing is going on again.... Any ideas?

Reply to
Scott Streeter

Recent comments here say that 90% of the time it's a gas cap that wasn't tightened two or three clicks, it's worth checking!

There are many potential gremlins ailing your car but it's probably best to get a free read from Autozone or similar place. With that little bit of info you pretty sure to be able to tackle whatever it is.

good luck, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

When my "check engine" light came on, it was the oxygen sensor. Dealer replaced it for free.

If the sparkplugs were crudded up, you may have fuel/air mixture problems.

D. Piersall

Reply to
David P.

"> I just tried to start my car and it's running rough and the engine

When the codes are pulled you will probably find a misfire code. P0300 random, P0301-P0304. Once you know what cylinder it is take a look at the plug wire and see if the boot end at the plug is oil soaked. If it is replace the valve cover gasket and the damaged wire. Alan

Reply to
Alan