OBD II readers

Finally broke down and bought a new Silverado. Nice truck, however.... The diagnostics issue of these new fangled vehicles causes me some degree of apprehension. In some respects I'm more comfortable with my '86 (OK, it's more likely to fail than the new one, but...) 'cause if it does break, I can most likely do SOMETHING to get it home. (I'm from the old school - in an emergency, gap distributor points with a matchbook cover) I've faced the harsh reality that I can no longer put a jumper across terminals (as I did in my 84 Olds) and count the engine light flashes to determine the fault. My 86 crewcab w/ HD emissions has an engine light, but it comes on to indicate one thing only - one of the smog pump solenoids is not functioning (big deal, cut the freaking pump belt and fix it whenever). OK, question: What type of OBD II readers do you all recommend (there's many types w/ various features). How about cables and software to plug into my laptop 'puter?

Look forward to some recommendations / input.

TIA Bob

Reply to
R Deans

For a laptop, this one might be OK:

I haven't used it, but I wouldprobably buy it if I needed one. For a dedicated unit, Actron andAutoXray seem to be popular. Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

I have an Auto Xray and so-far so-good...The 6000 model has all the goodies.

Reply to
Scott M

Some of the Computer Power Programmers also have a OBDII Reader in them also. It may be more Primitive then a Dedicated one, but, you have a NEW truck anyway. This can be the way to go. Your going to be paying around the same price anyway depending on what scanner you get.

Reply to
JBDragon