Odd Ground Problem on Dome Light

I have a 1994 K1500. The dome light stopped working suddenly although the under dash courtesy lights still work like they should. Sounded like a simple blown bulb, but a new bulb didn't help.

The new and old bulbs test good. Putting a meter on the bulb contacts with the bulb removed shows 12v when the door is open and nothing when it is shut. Put the bulb in though and there is only nominal voltage showing at the contacts when the door is open. Jumping a hard groud wire to the contact causes the lamp to light. It seems like there is a weak ground connection in the wire running to the dome light.

Does anyone know where that wire runs or where a likely trouble spot would be? I don't really want to tear the whole header apart tracing it. Also, is this a straight ground signal from one of the 3 switches or is there some sort of relay somewhere?

Any help is appreciated. Please e-mail as well as post responses.

Thanks, Tim...

Reply to
Tim N

Bobo

Thanks Bobo. The guilty ground wire was right there under the sill plate. There is a 3-wire connection there that had rotted. What a dumb place to put a wire connector!

"Bobo" wrote in news:WXZjb.1428$ snipped-for-privacy@news2.news.adelphia.net:

Reply to
Tim N