Query: 50,000 mi check up

Hi folks,

This is about a 2001 S-10, LS rear wheel drive, with approximately 52,000.

According to the manual there are certain things that need to be done at 50,000 miles then 75,000, 100,000, etc.

The guy at the dealer (I purchased it used with a so-called "GM Extended Warranty" which is a lie -- covers nothing but routine oil changes - tire rotation) service dept said that "oh, that's just for $ for the dealership". Huh? After paying nearly $600 (tow charge, parts and labor) for an alternator and learning that "GM Certified" with EXTENDEDED WARRANTY is a fraud, I'm wondering what, if anything, else is reliable? The service guy said it would cost about $500.

According to the manual there should be engine flush, etc. at 50,000. What is your opinion about this and what the service dept guy said (yes, it was a Chevrolet Dealer). TIA.

Helen

Reply to
Helen

I'm not sure whether you're actually looking for info or trying to trash the GM extended warranty. I have an '02 Impala with the GM MAJOR GUARD WARRANTY ($0 deductible) and it covers everything EXCEPT routine oil changes. What little warranty work I have had done on the car hasn't cost me a dime. Follow the owner's manual and find a new dealer to do the work, this one doesn't seem to know his job.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "So why do I drive a big SUV? It's because I have to haul numerous people and things to places." ~ R. Lee Baxton ~

Reply to
Rich B

I'm never into 'trashing' anyone, but speaking the truth. I was seeking info and am inclined to agree with you about the dealer. The so-called 'warranty' was a rip-off and I will tell that to anyone, in addition to sending info to Detroit about their dealers! I had a similar experience with a Ford dealer upon buying a new car! They were so sorry that after 300 miles (yes, 300 - it only had 6,000 when I got rid of it) and a nail in the tire, they refused to assist. What they did do (I used their 800 number) is use my VIN number to send a bill to the Ford Motor Company. They got paid for work not done and Ford lost a customer, permanently! BEWARE OF LOCAL YOKELS! Especially abound military installations! There seems to be more CROOKS congretating around military installations than elsewhere.

Frankly, I'd suggest NEVER buying a vehicle from any dealer near a military installation.

More often than not the so-called "Extended Warranty" is salesman BS by which he pockets a HUGE profit at YOUR EXPENSE! That's what I've found! Oh, yes, I intend to speak with the owner about this liar (no longer working for this dealer....went off to start his own dealership) who worked for him. Guys at car dealers seem to have short shelf lives. They don't work for as long as it takes milk to blink!

Thanks. Helen

Reply to
Helen

Ditto on car dealers near military installations. When I was in the military, I got ripped off big time by a dealer and I've never let it happen since. However, the GM extended warranty is a good plan if the dealer honors it.

I was told (by a dealer) that the customer is expected to pay some of the repair cost even on a no-deductible like mine but if he sees that the car has been well-maintained and the customer doesn't give him a hard time, he'll cover all costs associated with the repair (provided the warranty has no deduct.). Read your warranty and then find a good, ethical dealer to do the work.

The dealer I go to has been around since the 1930's and is a family-owned business whose owners are well-respected in the community. Also, I travel frequently so I try to locate good dealers (and independent garages) in the areas I visit frequently in case I have problems on the road.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "So why do I drive a big SUV? It's because I have to haul numerous people and things to places." ~ R. Lee Baxton ~

Reply to
Rich B

i resemble that remark!!!!

~:~ MarshMonster ~bets it's been a long time since you been serviced...... ooooooo.....simmmmer...simmmmer down now~

Reply to
Marsh Monster