S-10 racetruck?

are there any s-10's that are 4 cyclinders? i mean i am looking to go to use a chevy motor for my mini-modified class of raceing but i have heard chevy 4 cyclinder aren't good motors but it has to be in that class

Reply to
William C.

there were several a 1.9l, a 2.0l a couple different 2.2l and the 2.5l "iron Duke"

are you limited to GM 4 cyl?

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

well i am raceing a 4 cyclinder toyota celica right now but i would really rather have a chevy and if i did it would be the only one

Reply to
William C.

well.... gm 4 cyl's absolutely blow (esp any 2v pushrod engine that you'll find in an S10)compared to a toyota 4 cyl. I cut my teeth driving my '87 Toyota MR2. the 4AGE in it sounds beautiful above 4500 RPM. now I drive the polar opposite in my '88 K2500

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

the 2.5 as found in the late 80's Grand Am's (Pontiac design) was pretty durable

4.000 x 3.000 B&S............half of a 302.............runs good, wraps pretty tight

I guess a Quad-4 is out your budget ? it runs VERY well from about 2800 or so on up to the 6k range,,,,,,,,,doesn't really breath well till about 3k

I've always dreamewd of building a turbo-ed Q4..........now there would be a death machine, in a GrandAm body..........

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

well turbo's are against the rules and it must have a carb no fuel injection and the CC's can only be 2500 so it has to be a 4 cyclinder and i figured since this is the first year they say pickups are ok i could use a s-10 frame and go from there but i always thought that s-10's were mostly V6's i am not to used to s-10's heh

Reply to
William C.

If you want to be anywhere near competitive, your going to need a dual overhead cam to start with, and a light body. No variants of the S-10 remotely fit the bill. The S-10 is very heavily built compared to other mini-trucks, and the steering geometry sucks for what you want to do. If you want American, go with the quad 4. It's 2.3 litres, and puts out the same kind of numbers as the 4.3 v6 (up to 190 Hp stock). Here's the first Google hit on that motor

It's not all that hard to find, but it is pricey. And it was never offered with a carb, so an intake and carb will probably be hard to find and not cheap. If you want something cheaper, a (four letter word) Probe GT might be appropriate, since your going to beat on it. I'm sure there is someone putting out a carb kit for them, but I doubt you are going to get a cheap American solution to your problem. The Iron Duke is the next best bet, but they have a very heavy core charge if you are trying to buy one, and they do NOT take any substitute cores. It was offered in the S-10 for only a few years, I think 85 and 86, might be wrong about the exact years, but it was only 2 years, IIRC. There are mods available for it, including a 16 valve head (do I need to mention $$$$$$$?). It can be built up to be competitive with a new head, intake, etc. Stock, you will be eaten alive.

Course, you could always dig up one of those Cosworth Vega's :)

A little on the Iron Duke

John Alt

Just wanted to add that a long time ago I had a 2.6 litre v6 ford, a Capri. They may have a smaller version that would fit in the rules. Revved like crazy, and it was developed from a v4, also sold in that car. Might be hard to find in the states, though.

Reply to
John Alt

trust me, you do not want a general motors 4 cylinder, they suck, head gaskets go, and many other problems

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

Reply to
William C.