s10 rear window shatters, defect or bad luck

This has happened twice once in the heat of summer and yesterday cool in the 30s , neither time did we see it happen we just went out to the truck and it was all cracked up. Just a regular window no defroster on it. I'm thinking its happening when we shut the door and the air pressure cracks it ,we see it the next time we get in the truck, or we have real bad luck and some kid in the neigborhood is shooting a pellet gun ( no pellets or holes in the window just cracked all over )which i find hard to believe Anyway I posted this to see if anyone else has had the problem or what might be causing it.

Reply to
LOWkey

Hi!

I don't think air pressure would cause a problem. My own S-10 has a "vent" in the rear of the cab that seems to be used for pressure equalization purposes. What year is your truck?

I would hazard a guess that the extreme climate changes you mention occuring when the window broke are making parts of your truck's body shift--which in turn exerts pressure on the window and it just breaks up as a result. Is your truck rusty or damaged in some way?

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

It's stress that cracks that glass. Either the frame on it gets twisted or is tight or the glass gets scratched near an edge by tools or something like that. If you could frams up a piece of Lexan that could not happen.

Reply to
Al Bundy

We had this happen to the back window on my wife's 02 Windstar when it was about 6 mos old. It was cold as hell at the time, and the window had defroster wires in it. The wife had the car warming up for a while, and then it blew just as my daughter was getting in the car, scared the crap outta her !!!

I chalked it up to the cold and maybe just bad luck, although we have had the car for almost 3 yrs now and no more bad windows.

BTW - We had "Full Glass Coverage" on our insurance policy, but that must be lawyer talk cause it only covers the Windshield Glass.... *&%$^&@# Lawyers...Had to pay the $250 deductible on a $650 piece of glass. :(

JDS

Reply to
Jeff Sellers

Had it happen to me on my 94 but that was cause i backed into a light poll outside Heinz Field (light pole was painted black,it was night and i wasn't drinking) man the noise that window makes when it explodes. mike

Reply to
vwtopdown

equalization

shift--which in