Rear Window Defroster & Broken Window

Yesterday we took our '91 LS 400 out early in the morning. We used the rear window defroster. We didn't shut it off, but we turned off the key. 2 hours later we returned to find the window with a fine spider web of cracks over the entire window,hot to the touch and a baseball size hole on the driver's side. Nothing taken from the car, no rock, baseball or whatever inside the car.

I thought it was vandalism because of the hole but the prevailing opinion is that the defroster kept going after we shut it off and overheated the glass.

Is this possible with the key turned off? Is this a common problem with Lexus? What could the solution be? Thank You

Reply to
Lumpy

Hard to imagine this happening other than by vandalism. The defroster element is wired so it is only one when the engine is on. No engine on, no power to the element.

Reply to
GRL

Reply to
John Cho

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I'm having the same problem. Can you send me the answer when you figure it out?

Tom snipped-for-privacy@postmasternetworks.com

Reply to
Tom Smith

The dealer checked the electrical system and said it was ok. Apparently we were vandalised.

Interesting that people not connected with Lexus had heard of this kind of electrical malfunction. Lexus dealers hadn't heard of it and felt it was unlikely or even impossible.

We had a glass installer from the insurance company come out and he said he'd seen it before (not necessarily with Lexus). He didn't have our color of glass so we had to go to the dealer. There are 2 circuit breakers and a

10 minute timer that should protect the window.

We don't feel reassured, but if you can't find a problem you can't fix it.

Reply to
Lumpy

Hi

I had rear window blow, two holes and fully shattered, Not vandalised as I wss sitting in the car at the time, it made a VERY big bang, the replacement window co said it was an electrical fault.

Lumpy wrote:

Reply to
photoart_uk

Of course they've never heard of it. They don't follow the Internet discussion groups.

Travis Jordan