Service engine soon. Question.

Hi guys my Chevy G20 1992 v8 has had his service some 2000 km ago. (Not with a regular Chevrolet dealer). Now suddenly, when I let go of the throttle, the Service Engine Soon light will come up. When I engage throttle again, it will fade out. After a top, running Idle, it will burn some longer than when it comes up at disengage.

Is this a problem or just a mileage counter that has to be reset ... and how ?

Advice appreciated.

Reply to
Sir Dive-a-Lot

Service engine soon. Question. Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Mon, Feb 9, 2004, 8:17pm (CST+7) From: Sir snipped-for-privacy@underwater.blub (Sir=A0Dive-a-Lot) Hi guys my Chevy G20 1992 v8 has had his service some 2000 km ago. (Not with a regular Chevrolet dealer). Now suddenly, when I let go of the throttle, the Service Engine Soon light will come up. When I engage throttle again, it will fade out. After a top, running Idle, it will burn some longer than when it comes up at disengage. Is this a problem or just a mileage counter that has to be reset ... and how ? Advice appreciated.

Reply to
S C

No, it's not a mileage counter. You'll have a code for what is wrong, probably a TPS or an O2 sensor.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

My guess is EGR.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Which is ?

Reply to
Sir Dive-a-Lot

I don't know if I have codes, how should I find out ?

Reply to
Sir Dive-a-Lot

I don't know.

If it comes with a code, why should it go out on throttle engage en come in on disengage ?

Reply to
Sir Dive-a-Lot

Exhaust gas recirculation. The valve opens when at cruising or coasting speeds and closes as you decelerate and come to a stop. If it ain't closing right the EGR solenoid will let the ECM know this via a code. Have the codes scanned.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Any major parts store will check them for free.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Or, do it yourself: