Front end bounce with new shocks

I replaced my original shocks last year on my 97 1500 4x4 with some cheapo Pro-comp ES9000's. My front end started to bounce like crazy when I hit a bump at speeds over about 40mph, to the point I'd have to stop the truck to get it back under control. I replaced the trackbar with the Moog replacement, I thought that might help, but it didn't. I then went on ahead and had a front end alignment done, and no improvement. I spent some more money, and replaced the cheapos with the Monroe Sensatrac shocks. I figured that would probably correct it. Nope.

This is a stock truck, no lift kit, and and stock-sized tires. It seems like the front drivers side tire is bouncing like a basketball when it happens. I've double-checked air pressure in the tires, and they seem ok. The tires are a couple of years old, with maybe 20k on them, goodyear something or other. Any ideas on what to try?

Reply to
ic_penguin

I can't remember, but is there a steering stabilizer? On my old Jeep Grand Cherokee, it started shaking violently when I hit a frost heave or a bump over 40 or so. It scared the hell out of me when it happened the first time at 55 on the way home from work. After taking it to two dealers and an independent place, they all told me the stabilizer was fine, but none of them had any idea what was making it do it, everything else was tight and the alignment was perfect. I finally had it replaced anyway, and it totally cured it. It did seem ok when I pushed on it after it was replaced. Later on, the service writer told me they had a bunch of them come in after me, with identical symptoms, at about 65-75K on them.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

Check your front wheel bearings. Mine was bad on the passenger side and the vibration felt alot like an out of round tire and a bouncy fromt end.

-Jerry

Reply to
jerrynatlga