Silverado power steering problem

2000 Silverado 4X4 with 146K

My truck has no power assist when I turn the wheel to the left, it is most noticeable at a stop or lower speeds. It always works fine when turning to the right.

Thanks for taking the time help, Al Bottoms Up Divers

Reply to
ajtessier

"ajtessier" wrote in news:dibuh.465095$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

4X4 has a reciprocating ball steering box doesnt it? the pump is kind of a 'stupid' device (meaning it either does or doesnt apply assist pressure when requested) so i would have to go with the steering gearbox as a likely suspect. i rememeber in 99 and 00 the steering box made some really odd vibration/noise AT TIMES and we were having them replaced under manuf. warranty....................
Reply to
KjunRaven

innews:dibuh.465095$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

pump is kind of a

Yup, the gearbox houses the control valve assembly which is the root cause of his asymmetric assist ailment.

OP: make sure your front tires are properly inflated before going any further. If you decide to tackle gearbox replacement you will need a stout pitman arm puller.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Thanks for your responses. Two mechanics thought it was gear box also but they weren't sure enough to recommend replacing it.

Thanks again, Al

Reply to
ajtessier

I am having almost the same problem. Sharp turns after first starting my truck seem to be unassisted by the powersteering. What did you decide to do?

Reply to
myonlytruck