Storing Tires??

Whats the best way to store my summer tires? (rims and tires) They are in the basement. Thanks for the opinions Steve in Ct

Reply to
Steven Richard

I would like to know if there is an offficial way myself. I have always lowered the air presssure by half and layed them on their side on a pallet so they stay off the floor. Never had a problem...

Reply to
Shades

Back in the 70's I was told That an Electric Motor gives off a gas that Destroys The rubber in tires.. ie Furnace Motors, water well pumps

Steven Richard wrote:

Reply to
Santa

Clean and dry, drop pressure by half, bag each assembly and get as much air out as possible(many tire stores will actually give you bags for this purpose) and then seal the bags with duct tape. Keep them away from heat, like next to the hot water heater or furnace, or direct sunlight.. Keep them away from electric motors (like the blower motor in the furnace) as the ozone created by electric motors is harmful to tires. Store on their side, stack no more than 3 ft high. With the tires bagged, the pallets aren't needed fro air circulation, and I would rather have the sidewalls evenly supported. These recommendations can be found on Goodyear, firestone, Hoosier, and other manufacturers web sites.

Little snow tire tidbit of trivia, in most European countries, such as Germany if you use snow tires you are required to have them on all four wheels, not just the drives. Failure to do so can result in a ticket and being found at fault in an accident. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

"Shades" wrote

There is no "official" way, unless you are extremely anal about these things. It's only for 4-5 months...just throw them in the basement and forget about them. It sounds like there are some folks that are "extremely anal" about these things.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Yea but Whitelightning said the sidewalls need to be "evenly supported", lol b

Reply to
Battleax