Whats the best/right way to ....

Hi, havn't been on RAMVA in a long time so hello to all. I'm getting ready to paing my 74 Super and want some advice on whats the best/right way to clean up and paint the little compartment that is behind the cooling louvers that are directly above the engine compartment. Is there a trick here, I've never seen this addressed in any of the magazine articles on restoring and painting a bug. This is not a body off restoration, I just want some new paint and color.

Dick Steflik Binghamton, NY

Reply to
Dick

Dick,

Not a lot of response on this one!!!

I don't think there is a "best/right way". A lot will depend on your situation ie how bad it is!

You can check on the method John Henry used in restoring his car at the "BugShop" (cannot get the link to work?). He removed the lower tray. ( a bit more than the average DIY)

You could get that area sand/bead blasted.

I have had success by making a narrow set of scrapers, wire brushes and sanding tools to work through the outer grills. Then spray paint the inner area first, through the outer grills. It got a bit messy on the outside grills, but this was easily cleaned up before painting the outside.

Grahame from Australia

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe