Delco Digital Radio's

Chicago now has a great Oldies station at 1690 AM.

I get the 1690 station in my car. A friend has a 91 LeSabre, mother has a 91 Caddy and their AM bands end at 1620.

What determines how far the band range can go? Can something be done to the radio to get up to 1690?

These are the factory radio's we have and are digital readout, so you can't turn the tuning dial to fine tune in a weaker station.

Rock On !

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~295,133 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Hi...

Can't be of much help, but perhaps better than nothing at all ?

The original am band was extended to 1700 in spring of

1997. Slowly some stations are opening in the extended portion... I think so far only a few in the USA and Mexico...

I guess the simplest solution for your friend and your Mom might be to consider upgrading their radios - first making certain that the 3rd party replacements they buy do indeed cover the extended portion.

Long retired, I stand ready to be corrected :)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

The factory Delco ETR radio in my '84 T/A only goes to 1620.

Why are you listening to AM? Its mono!

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Hi Dennis...

AM stereo has been around for at least 20 years - even in GM Delco original equipment... :)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

You need what is kown as a "Band expander"....read FAQ here...

Amber :-)

Reply to
Ambrosia

snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHISyahoo.com (Dennis Smith) wrote in news:clag3k$6j3$1 @news.doit.wisc.edu:

Art Bell (Coast to Coast AM)..............Dr. Laura............Dr. Dean Edell.........

Reply to
Justin

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Yes...AM Stereo has been around for ~20 years!

| >>Chicago now has a great Oldies station at 1690 AM. | >>

| >>I get the 1690 station in my car. A friend has a 91 LeSabre, mother has | >>a 91 Caddy and their AM bands end at 1620. | >

| >The factory Delco ETR radio in my '84 T/A only goes to 1620. | >

| >Why are you listening to AM? Its mono! |

Reply to
James C. Reeves

The AM is still mono in my '84 T/A. The owners manual only mentions AM, FM, FM Stereo.

I just turned on my sony stereo at home and I can't find a single AM station in the area that broadcasts in Stereo. AM Stereo must be one of the pleasures of living in a city with a couple million people ...

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Dr. Laura is *hardly* a good reason to listen to AM, IMNSHO.

Just my 2¢, of course.

Reply to
DC

Hi Dennis...

See from your header that you're using an educational account in Wisconsin.. but not sure what city or cities that would be... (I'm in Canada)

But here's a short list for you to check, hopefully one might be close by.. all are am stereo.

Milwaukee - WOKY - 920 Kenosha - WLIP - 1050 Greenfield- WCMS - 1290 Waukesha - WAUK - 1510 Sussex - WKSH - 1640 Madison - WDTY - 1670

If you or others want to check further, here's the url for your whole country:

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Smith forget those WI Stations the other poster mentioned & try tuning in to the stations in Pixley or Hooterville.

Hahahahahahahaha.

The first line of my post tells you why we listen to AM, but not all the time ( We have a great Oldies Station here in Chicago at AM 1690 ).

We also rock at The WLUP FM 98.

But 93.1% of the time is used using the cassette deck.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~295,133 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

The telling portions from her bio (based off the link posted above): "Schlessinger received a bachelor degree from SUNY Stony Brook and a Ph.D. in Physiology" //"A brief marriage in her early twenties ended in divorce"//"she met Dr. Lewis G. Bishop, who was married with dependent children. According to the subsequent divorce filings, they began an affair"

From what I gathered (correct me if I'm wrong). She got a Ph.d in Phys-ed, Graduated from a failed marrage into a "home wrecker" role before getting a spot on National radio giving out advice on how to live one's life?

See !

This is what I love about America. A person can make it big no matter how big a f*ckup they are.

Just my baised opinion

Reply to
Full_Name

Uh, I meant to type "Now", not "Not" (above). Stupid speelchucker.

I think you pretty much nailed it, yeah.

I mean, how else would you explain Jessica Simpson? }:O)

Reply to
DC

Her PhD is in physiology, not Physical Ed. Physiology is like a study of the bio-mechanics/anatomy of the human body.

None of us have lived perfect lives. We've all made mistakes. She has too and has learned from them. Ever actually listen to her show? (I only listen maybe once a month myself if I happen to be on the road during a weekday early afternoon). The point I was making is that she hammers out common sense to people. And she only seems rude because that's her natural way of speaking. A few months ago, a lady asked her "should I go through with marriage to my fiance?" The lady's apt. had flooded and she needed help moving her stuff out and into her new place. Her fiance didn't help her move; instead went with his buddies to play golf that weekend. Dr. Laura told her "if you marry this jerk, you deserve to be treated like a piece of trash, which is how he'll treat you." Upside the head with a 2x4 of common sense, is Dr. Laura. But as far as talk radio, I usually listen to NPR or Coast to Coast AM.

Reply to
Justin

I'd have to agree with you that NPR is a pretty good institution.

As far as judging a situation based upon how only one person present it? Well my take on that is that what you've got is someone who's friends have quit listening to them so they've gotta call a radio show, the woman doesn't need advice, she needs a functioning brain cell.

I'm sorry if my assessment of physiology deems it glorified Gym class, but from everything that I've seen I still have to conclude that is an accurate assessment.

Reply to
Full_Name