Which is bigger? Titan or Silverado

Ooppps. Guess I should have looked before stepping into traffic... ;-)

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

Check out the 05 nissan frontier

dave stone

I'm not really sure if you're trying to argue for my point or not, but I think you just summerized my argument more succinctly than I did. What I got all long-winded about was that I feel domestic companies realize that truck buyers want choice and give it to them, while the traditionally foreign (a poor word, granted) companies want to sell you what they make and limit your choices.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

I won't bother interspersing my replies into the copy below, it gets too confusing.

I got my numbers from

I had to compare the compact truck to the full-size because there were no numbers available for either the Tundra or the Titan for January listed on the site.

The rest I'll just let go since it's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

You know, I really have to ask. Is it really "built" in Smyrna or is it just "assembled" there out of parts shipped over from the far east?

The biggest falacy of "foreign" automobiles "built in the USA" has to do with tarriffs. Overseas manufacturers don't pay the same tarriffs on auto parts that they do on fully assembled vehicles, so it makes sense that they would build an assembly plant here in the States and just send over the parts. It's only a move designed to circumvent tarriffs, taxes and duties while fooling some people into actually believing that that particular vehicle is actually "Made In The USA".

Over the past decade, the domestic content of "foreign" vehicles has increased as they have realized that it's cheaper to actually produce more parts over here as the Japanese economy remains on the skids. You have to wonder, if these manufacturers are so good at their jobs, then why is there home economy in such a shambles?

I'm not saying our economy can't be better (and I'll stay out of political discussions), but you have to realize that we are the only county in the world that sends out billions and billions of dollars every month as a trade deficit and is still the only superpower left.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

There are a couple of theories at work here... One is a marketing theory that you should limit buyers choices and thereby make it easier for them to make a decision. That's why we have options packages. The other is that it costs a whole lot less to produce vehicles in limited configurations.

Does GM still let you pull out a vehicle order form and start checking off option and feature boxes ?

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Louis

see? the first word ruined it all. " Bigger " why does it have to be bigger? why cant they keep the smaller shell? This whole "my truck is bigger then your truck" stuff reminds me of the old highschool locker room years. Americans have a bad case of SMS. That engine looks pretty good though. Its about time they put some real power under the hood. However, a Diesel option would be nice for the smaller trucks. (since the smaller trucks are about the size of the '80s Chevy full size trucks) Does Nissan make Diesel engines in other markets? or do they just use another manufacturer? I found the Navara (UK Frontier) ha a 2.5 liter turbo Diesel.

Reply to
Trey

I am sure many people found Uzi's site when looking for the Nissan car site. I bet that's partly why Uzi used it, and partly why Nissan sued him.

Reply to
Trey

As far as I know, the Big Three still let you custom order a truck, but the delivery time can be around 6 weeks or longer if they are between models. I have never custom ordered a vehicle, but I have had friends who have done so and I guess it was worth the wait for them.

In the future the theory of limiting customer's options may go the way of the Edsell. GM has been working on a concept vehicle which is nothing more than a chassis and drive train (fuel cell or some sort of alternative fuel I believe). The customer gets to choose everything from body panels to interior configuration, colors, options, and everything else - things just mount right to the chassis. In fact I think that the sub-modules are actually replaceable so you can completely (or slightly) change your vehicle to whatever works for you. I remember seeing it on TV, but I think a practical, working model is years (decades?) away from implementation.

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Isn't that what Duesenberg used to do?

Reply to
Trey

I don't really know the answer to that one. I just know the thing is being "produce" or "built" at the plant in Smyrna. I did see the Titan at the Auto show a few weeks back... they look pretty nice but all in all... I think I would rather have my Silverado!!!!!!!!!!! As to which is bigger.... I think they are close but it did seem the Titan had a taller stance. (Probally due to larger tires.)

Reply to
William Allen Morgan

I think the Edsel was a good reference there, because any such scheme will be the modern day marketing equivalent.

Reply to
Bob

Wow! After all those threads a real answer. Thankyou. I too was interested for not other reason then to know more about what's out there.

Reply to
Barney

Actually, the Titan is buit in Canton, Mississippi

Reply to
Aaron Ciesar

The Titan frame, body, engine, and interior is built in Canton, Mississippi. Nissan completed building the factory over two years ago. The transmission, however, is still built in Japan and shipped to the U.S.

Reply to
Aaron Ciesar

I am not a Nissan employee. I am a Tom Wood employee. I just sell Nissans.

And unlike others in these newsgroups, I am not a salesperson masquerading as a consumer. I post my credentials, I hide nothing. You can interpret my postings any way you want.

Never, until the late 80's, the Japanese had issues with producing steel that was rust resistant. We have a funny saying about the old Nissans/Datsuns. The body will fall off before the engine will die.

Now Nissan uses aluminum alloy in the body. It will never rust.

Reply to
Aaron Ciesar

I disagree with you on this. Toyota makes fine vehicles. My Tundra access cab limited is for real ... nothing make believe about it. But, it's the last Toyota I'll ever buy. Toyota is a nasty car company. Their dealer network has some of the most corrupt and dishonest service departments I've ever seen. And Toyota encourages this behavior.

Dan

Reply to
Dante Cianci

Reply to
William Allen Morgan

I'm new to the group. I learned a few years ago that different body styles were produced in different plants. At one time the 5.7 GM truck engine was made exclusively in Mexico, but I don't think that is true anymore. Components of each truck are made in different locations and assembled in several others. Some plants produced a variety of trucks but in groups as parts become available. It seems to be a logistical nightmare. As for the Titan, there may be more than one plant pumping out only one type of body style in order to get as many trucks on the market as possible. As the truck increases in sales, additonal body styles may be added to those plants.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Taylor