Which is bigger? Titan or Silverado

Okay, yesterday afternoon, I'm driving down the freeway, and I notice a new Titan. Right in front was a Silverado 1500. As I passed by, I
felt that the Titan was considerably wider and longer than the Silverado.
Is this true?
A Celebration wrote:

Nope. They're within inches of each other for exterior dimensions.
What does it matter? If the Titan was bigger would you sell your Chevy?
Does size really matter that much to you?
Hell, if you want quality, get a Toyota. Small in stature, big in everything else.
B~

Actually, I was thinking about getting the Kodiak with a pickup bed. then I will the biggest truck in the parking lot! but wait, what if a coworker got a Freightliner? hm, then I would be second biggest. I better get a Western Star Severe duty just to be on the safe side.
No, Size does not matter to me, and no, I am not selling my current truck because someone comes out with one that's two inches bigger. Actually, I would like to get a SMALLER truck. I have little use for a full size pickup. However, if they put the Vortec5300 into the Colorado, then I would be trading in my truck today.

(I'll ignore the toppost)
You COULD put a 350 into an S-10/S-15. I've known those who've done this. The 4.3L V6 has the same bolt pattern as the 350.

pickup.
Check out the 05 nissan frontier
http://www.car-data.com/xpage.preview/pre.template.asp?mfg=nissan&model=frontier

truck
http://www.car-data.com/xpage.preview/pre.template.asp?mfg=nissan&model=frontier
see? the first word ruined it all. " Bigger " why does it have to be bigger? why cant they keep the smaller shell? This whole "my truck is bigger then your truck" stuff reminds me of the old highschool locker room years. Americans have a bad case of SMS. That engine looks pretty good though. Its about time they put some real power under the hood. However, a Diesel option would be nice for the smaller trucks. (since the smaller trucks are about the size of the '80s Chevy full size trucks) Does Nissan make Diesel engines in other markets? or do they just use another manufacturer? I found the Navara (UK Frontier) ha a 2.5 liter turbo Diesel.
What have you been smoking?? Toyota makes only make believe trucks...

I disagree with you on this. Toyota makes fine vehicles. My Tundra access cab limited is for real ... nothing make believe about it. But, it's the last Toyota I'll ever buy. Toyota is a nasty car company. Their dealer network has some of the most corrupt and dishonest service departments I've ever seen. And Toyota encourages this behavior.
Dan
--

> "BradS" < snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> news:ZkL%b.19367$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr26.news.prodigy.com...
Since both are extremely close to each other in overall dimensions, I think you should be asking some different questions.
For Example: Which one offers a wider choice of engine sizes? Gas, diesel or alternative fuel? Transmissions? Rear axle ratios? Capacities (half, three-quarter, and one-ton)? Trim levels? Cab configurations? Options for everything from interior to 4-wheel steering? Which one even offers the exact same truck with all the same options but with a different interior and hood/front end configuration? I'll give you a hint - it ain't Toyota.
I'm not saying that Toyota makes a bad truck. On the contrary. What I am saying is that Toyota (and many other traditionally "foreign" manufacturers) never have offered much in the way of choice or variety. This is a holdover from the days when their trucks were still manufacutred overseas and shipping over a wider selection of options would have been too costly. But since most of these trucks are now being assembled over here then I can't really understand why they don't broaden their selection. They typically take polling data and put together a truck that hits the peak in all of the desired components when crossed with final cost. But if you're in the market for a 3/4-ton diesel powered crewcab with 2wd, a 5-speed automatic transmission and a locking 3.73 rear axle, then you might just as well drive right on past the Toyota dealership without even stopping. But if you're looking for a truck almost identical to what everyone else has got, then pull right in - there's a hundred of them on the lot all lined up and ready to go.
Cheers - Jonathan
--
Acta Non Verba - Deeds Not Words
Lieutenant Jonathan Race, EMS Supervisor

I really am wondering where you're getting this figure of 95%. Targeting your customers is good if you're only selling one product, but somehow I don't think the three biggest sellers of light duty trucks are wrong by offering more choices instead of fewer. Sales for the Toyota Tacoma for January, 2004 came in a very distant 4th (11616) to Ford F-Series (61979), Chevy Silverado (40966), Dodge Ram (28021) and even GMC Sierra (12063). The Nissan Frontier came in last (4644). Toyota and Nissan (among others) aren't targeting their audience, they are maximizing their profits by limiting your choices. I for one had no use for either the Titan or the Tundra, as neither had any of the options I wanted or needed. Somehow, just by looking at these sales numbers, I don't really think that I'm in a group of only 5% of new truck buyers. Nissan isn't targeting truck buyers with its new Titan, only the few very-well-to-do truck buyers at the top end of the scale with a truck (and a price) geared to meet some fairly limited needs.
From my point of view, most Americans seem willing to give a little here and there, but damn few are eager to settle for something they don't want or need unless there is absolutely no other choice. Or what they are offered actually meets their needs.
Cheers - Jonathan
--
Acta Non Verba - Deeds Not Words
Lieutenant Jonathan Race, EMS Supervisor
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:29:43 GMT, "Jonathan Race"

You're looking at it backwards. Smart companies go out and figure out what customers want, then fill that need. It's called "Marketing". Dumb companies build what they want, then try to convince you to buy it.
I'm not really sure if you're trying to argue for my point or not, but I think you just summerized my argument more succinctly than I did. What I got all long-winded about was that I feel domestic companies realize that truck buyers want choice and give it to them, while the traditionally foreign (a poor word, granted) companies want to sell you what they make and limit your choices.
Cheers - Jonathan
--
Acta Non Verba - Deeds Not Words
Lieutenant Jonathan Race, EMS Supervisor
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:51:22 GMT, "Jonathan Race"

There are a couple of theories at work here... One is a marketing theory that you should limit buyers choices and thereby make it easier for them to make a decision. That's why we have options packages. The other is that it costs a whole lot less to produce vehicles in limited configurations.
Does GM still let you pull out a vehicle order form and start checking off option and feature boxes ?
As far as I know, the Big Three still let you custom order a truck, but the delivery time can be around 6 weeks or longer if they are between models. I have never custom ordered a vehicle, but I have had friends who have done so and I guess it was worth the wait for them.
In the future the theory of limiting customer's options may go the way of the Edsell. GM has been working on a concept vehicle which is nothing more than a chassis and drive train (fuel cell or some sort of alternative fuel I believe). The customer gets to choose everything from body panels to interior configuration, colors, options, and everything else - things just mount right to the chassis. In fact I think that the sub-modules are actually replaceable so you can completely (or slightly) change your vehicle to whatever works for you. I remember seeing it on TV, but I think a practical, working model is years (decades?) away from implementation.
--
Acta Non Verba - Deeds Not Words
Lieutenant Jonathan Race, EMS Supervisor
Isn't that what Duesenberg used to do?
wrote:

make
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:43:43 GMT, "Jonathan Race"

I think the Edsel was a good reference there, because any such scheme will be the modern day marketing equivalent.
Titans are made in texas, GM & Ford trucks are made in Mexico. Foreign and Domestic? Those are very old terms that don't realy fit anymore. Personaly wishwhats sold here is made here for our economy
wrote:

here
or
says...

They ARE?
Golly gee whiz, I wonder what that nice NEW plant in Canton Mississippi was for?
FWIW, Titan's, Armada's and Quests are built at the Canton plant....... NOT Texas.
Chuck