z71 4wheel drive powertrain problems

I have a 93 Z71 4wheel drive gmc truck. Two month ago the tranfer went out and it cost me $1K to fix it. Three weeks later the rear end went out. As you probably guess, that was another $1K to fix. Is this common for a truck with only 140K miles? Seems they engineer these things to break down after so many miles.

Michael

Reply to
D. Michael Bourgeois

Did you change the TC fluid at least every 30K? How the differential fluid? Did you change that at least every 30K?

I'm going to guess and say probably not.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

sounds like a habit of pulling the lever with the rears spining to me. that's the only way I've ever heard of a 241 failing (other than the output shaft snap ring).

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

"D. Michael Bourgeois" wrote

Geez, you got 140K miles out of those components. You should see all the late model trucks in our shop with the front diffs and t/cases grenaded after 20K miles. Count your blessings, my man.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I think he changed it every 140,000 miles....

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ