Re: What do you drive as a beater?

87 Chevy cavalier 4-door automatic, good condition, all it needed was a normal tune up (plugs, fuel filter, etc) bought it for $300 , 3 1/2 years ago....it has over 200K, and still pulling like a champ. No mechanical problems at all. The first car I've ever driven was an 86 Cavalier back in the day so I have some respect for this one =0) Oh yea did I mention I had a 92 Cavalier Z24 coupe with a V6 and a 5 speed, still miss it till this day!
Reply to
RioRedGT

Not a beater, but my daily driver is my '94 white lightning:

Thats my baby!! Erik D. '94 white lightn> I know many Mustang owners park theirs when the snow flies. I plan to do the

Reply to
Erik D.

Well, that depends. I have two rides, and it really depends on which one i have torn apart as to what i drive. I've also got so much $$$ invested in each i hate to call one or the other a "beater". For almost a year i've been driving my 5.0 2wd Ranger only, even in all the snow PA saw last winter. It's a handfull in the snow with such a light backend and the 3.73's, but a light pedal and studded snows help some. I've been driving that all year bcause my other project isn't quite done. '82 Jeep CJ8 "Scrambler". Rare, only made for 5 years, and less than 28,000 of them. It's been getting a big transplant.... lift, axles, transmission, transfer case, engine, about a dozen other upgrades, all at once. It's nearly done, so i can do more work on the 5.0. HEADS NEEDED!! ;)

Don W

Reply to
Don Wallish

Well this is my Truck, Eric.

Don't make fun of it.

Reply to
RioRedGT

BOAT ???? I don't need no stinkin' boat.

Reply to
Luna

Winters where I live don't require that I store my Mustang, but I still prefer to keep it for cruising on nice days and evenings only. For this reason I owned a 93 Escort wagon for several years. It was in outstanding condition, and I never had any trouble from it. I'd added a few things to personalize it, like window vents, tint, custom wheels, and a nice stereo. Eventually I wanted something with more ground clearance, so I sold it to buy a 96 Explorer. I've personalized it the same way, and it is my daily driver to work and on less-than-perfect days.

Randy

90 GT

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

randy pavatte
1990 Ford Terrorist paid $500 for it. The tranny went out on it a couple of weeks ago, will have to fix it soon.

Congrats on your GT!

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top
Reply to
SVTKate

I have a 93 Ranger 4WD 5 speed, it has 226,000 miles on the original engine and most everything else. I have only replaced the water pump, starter, radiator, and motor that engages the 4WD, of coarse I have replaced brakes tires mufflers belts and all the regular wear and tear things. I did put a clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing at about 180,00 because the throw out bearing went. I have had it since it was new in June of 93 and it has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I just got my annual state inspection sticker for it Saturday, (made it one more time). I think I can squeeze one more Winter out of it but that's about it, The area around the radiator is so rotted, probably from the road salt up here, that I am afraid the whole nose is going to blow off someday on my way to work.

2003 GT Black
Reply to
Dennis

I live in the wonderful SW PA area... just enough snow for them to salt the hell out of the roads most years... last year was pretty bad though. Almost a month consecutive without seeing 32 degrees F, and some amount of snowfall almost every day.

Right now the Cobra is the daily beast and I'm not real happy about that. I've put on over 1000 miles in the last week. Mind you, I love driving the car, but it's filthy, bug guts all over it, the inside is full of crap from long trips and the 30 mile one-way drive back and forth to work. It'll probably be this way until I get my bike back and get my Probe done and back. Then I'll have other cars to share the duty.

JS

Reply to
JS

The beaterrific, the torqueless wonder, the winter car, is a 1986 mazda

626. got for free from my parents (I've taken care of this car and kept it up for years anyway), fixed it once again and I just drive it when I am going to be doing something where dirt/rain/slush/salt/etc is inolved or just to avoid piling on miles with boring driving tasks. (up until last winter I drove the mustang in the winter, I still do, but now only when dry. Car preservation is the only reason, I actually prefer RWD in the snow)
Reply to
Brent P

Not sure I'd call it a beater but when I want to "save the GT" I drive an 89 S-10 pickup. Has kind of an erratic automatic - sometimes it really bangs into gear and when it does it easily chirps the rears. Actually kind of fun to drive and a sleeper with the 4.3L V6. Takes off fast but then runs out of steam when it's wound up - then BANG, Chirp, and on to the next gear. Not bad for 157,000 miles. And doesn't leak a drop of anything.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

I'm trying to get my 87 F150 back up a running right. It's got a collapsed lifter in it's I-6 300ci engine. :>(

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

--->> FOR SALE normal tune up (plugs, fuel filter, etc) bought it for $300 , 3 1/2 years

Reply to
Katmandu

My 2001 GT Convertible is my beater...

Ed

jriegle wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Snow don't fly much here in So Cal, but that doesn't mean I don't want to save my 'stang as my weekend toy only...

It's hardly a beater, but my 1997 Audi A4 quattro makes a nice, comfortable, mild mannered daily driver/carpool machine. Handles quite well, I might add.

Reply to
Victor DiMichina

My escort has air. just wish it worked : (

Reply to
jriegle

I spent four or five days a week just North of Philadelphia, (Bristol) from December through the end of May this year for my job and the weather in that area was pretty balmy this Winter compared to what we were getting in NH. It was a challenge many weeks just to get a flight out and back because of the weather. Way too many hours spent at the Jet Rock Cafe at the Philadelphia airport because of delays. Although I am sure the weather in SW PA is much worse than Philadelphia, its so close to the ocean.

Reply to
Dennis

have two a 96cadillac STS and 68firebird neither are beaters

Reply to
94stang

Yes the are!

They're made by GM aren't they ?? ;>) ;>) J/K!

Reply to
Katmandu
00 Chevy Impala (my daily driver)

94 Ford Ranger XL (hauling stuff and when i need to drive a 5 speed)

02 Yamaha VStar Silverado - Whenever its nice out and im not in the vert!

01 Saturn L100 (really the wifes car, but i do drive it once in a while)

74 Yamaha RD350 (rarely rider)

and of course the $5,000 paper weight formerly know as

89 5.0 GT Vert garaged til the lottery gods put a new tranny in her..

Matt

Reply to
Matt

My beater is a 1990 Cavalier Z24 3.1L 2 dr. Bought it for 350 bucks off some guy who just wanted to pay off his tickets. With winters like we get around here, you need undercoating on your beaters to keep them from rusting out. 5 feet of snow and a city council that likes to use salt everytime snow falls, even the tiniest bit, don't help the floor of the car.

Reply to
emtecca