1984 chrysler newyorker 4 cylinder 2.6 L starts fine cold but floods on start when hot

Hi im looking to buy a 1984 newyorker in mint condition accept for this minor problem, the owner took it to a garage and they told him it needed a valve job? correct me if im wrong but it makes no sense! the engine starts right up when cold but when it has warmed up some and shut it off you need to give at least 4 tries to start it and without touching the gas peddle then it will start they tell me it is a 2.6 litre engine seems to me if an intake valve was leaking it would backfire trough the carburator, is it possible that the oxigen sensor is messed up? will wait for your answer ty...mike

Reply to
Mike

No, the car has a *major* problem: It has the Mitsubishi 2.6 litre engine, which is an awful design in and of itself, before you even begin to discuss the fuel-mixing garbage can they put on it for a carburetor.

Stay away unless you're looking for either a moneypit *or* the basis for an engine swap to something considerably less troublesome, like a Chrysler

2.5 or a Mitsu 3.0.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Well, the hard start comes from the fact that the Mikuni carburetor used on that POS Mitsubishi engine is a nightmare to keep in tune.

The "it needs a valve job" recommendation is probably due to the fact that the mechanic has probably never seen a POS Mitsubishi 2.6 that DIDN'T need a cylinder head replacement.

Darned shame-that would be a good car if it had a Chrysler 2.2L engine instead of the Mitsu junker.

Reply to
Steve