88 Cabriolet floods when hot

I've an 88 cabriolet that is flooding when hot. Been an off-and-on problem for a few years, but getting worse.

Recently tuned up, I suspect the '#5" injector may be leaking, but is there anything else I should check as well?

(runs well once started and cleared out.)

Reply to
PeterD

how do you know that it is flooding?

Reply to
One out of many Daves

Good question. I worked on that problem for a while. The cylinders are 'soaked' with gas when it won't start. Leaving the plugs out for a while will let it start.

Sometimes the 'press accelerator to the floor hard' flooded engine technique will work, but other times it seems to be just too much for that to work.

All cylinders seem to be equally bad, which is why I suspect #5 instead of one of the individual injectors.

I'd love to find a schematic of the engine system (the plain old CIS variety).

Reply to
PeterD

Well, more testing... (man, it's hot out!)

Doesn't seem to be flooding today. Doesn't seem to be getting any gas at all to start. There was a lot of crap (oily stuff) around the air-flow sensor plate which a can of carb cleaner took off nicely. (and it took an entire can to get it all!)

Still hard as the dickens to start hot (and not easy when cold, but much better). Runs well once started, good performance, no stumbling or misfires.

I guess this may be a factor: the car is only used in the summer, and sits over the winter each year (an 1988 with 44K miles on it).

This same problem happened a couple of years ago, and went away by itself after a few weeks.

I did toss in a can of Techron injector cleaner today and a full tank of gas.

Q: that sensor on the engine side fo the upper radiator hose. (There are two, one with one wire, the other has two wires). The two wire sensor: what does it do? Is it a switch, or a variable resistance? I read 50 ohms to ground from one pin, 100 ohms the other pin, and 50 ohms between the two pins. Seems 'odd'. I'd thought it was the 'cold' start sensor (a switch), but those readings don't seem right.

Reply to
PeterD