1994 Intrepid 3.5L tranny leak

Tranny fluid appears to be leaking from the front of the transmission. No fluid is leaking from the pan. Any ideas about what the repair will involve. 163,000 miles on this tranny. No repairs needed so far. I just don't like the mess it makes.

Reply to
NowItsWhatever

Going back in memory, I think there is a common leak on the AT pipe that goes into the coolant. Same thing on the second generation LH vehicles. Mine was fixed by the dealer when I have AT fluid changed. Didn't cost much if that is your problem. Make sure they use the right AT fluid with no additives.

Reply to
Art

Has this car ever had any transmission work done? If not, then its probably still got the original front pump to transmission housing O-ring in it, and those were known for leaking over time. Check the coolant lines as Art suggested, but those will generally leak right up at the very front of the car, near the radiator, on the driver's side. If the tranny fluid appears to be coming out of the bellhousing vent hole (on the bottom of the rounded portion of the transmission where it bolts to the engine block) then my bet is on the pump seal, or (less likely) the torque convertor neck seal. Either one requires removing and re-installing the transmission, so you might as well think about a total rebuild while its out anyway.

Reply to
Steve

You could probably pay a lot less just continuting to put fluid into it and wait for the trans to break down. It might be the engine breaks before the transmission.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

That's true enough, and I did that with my own 1993 3.5/42LE engine/trans combo car a number of years ago. But if it is the front pump-to-housing seal, it will get to be a pretty fast leak as the seal continues to shrink and crack. I got tired of keeping a pan under the car and adding a quart every other day. Literally!

Possible, but not likely in a 94 3.5/42LE combo. The 3.5 in my 93 is now at 230,000 miles and running great, but the transmissions in the early ones (93, 94) typically don't go far past 150k. Especially not if they get leaky and you miss a day of checking it and let it run low on fluid. The transmission was on the weak side, but the 3.5 will run forever.

Reply to
Steve

Also change the rear AT mount if that hasn't been done if you pull the AT.

Reply to
Art

I did that a while back. Thanks.

Reply to
NowItsWhatever

Thanks for the advice.

No transmission work done other than fluid/filter changes (about 3 as I recall). I'm evaluating whether to repair this car or replace. It's due for timing belt/water pump replacements too. Also, drivers side seat adjustment (back/forward slide) is broken. Paint keeps flaking off. Vinyl on passenger side air bag is shrunk/warped. Fuel gauge reads way too optimistically (I have to keep track of my miles between fills). I'm beginning to get that inner tie rod bushing clunk again.

The engine runs like new though. What do you think guys? Is it time to dump this rig and move on?

Reply to
NowItsWhatever

Unfortunately that advice is probably going to translate into "sell it now while the leak isn't that big and a buyer won't notice it"

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

If the power seat problem is the tracks, Chrysler was fixing the tracks on the power seat for free. Call your dealer and see if they are still doing it.

Reply to
Art

Hi...

They just happily did mine a few months ago (94 LHS) with absolutely no charge :)

Take care

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

From a purely economic standpoint, I'll ALWAYS argue that you're better off throwing a few thousand dollars at a car to fix the annoyances, rather than wholesale trading for a new or used car. You could rebuild the transmission, put in a new fuel pump/sending unit, rebuild the suspension, get a seat from a junkyard, and paint the car for under $10k. Now ask yourself- could you go out and buy an equivalent car (that you're confident in) for that amount of money? Highly doubtful.

On the other hand, if you're tired of the car then by all means move on. But don't pretend that its an economic decision ;D

Reply to
Steve

Interesting point of view. However, even if the repairs you suggest were done, along the way there would be things like worn-out wiper motor, worn-out ignition switch, worn-out fan motor, worn-out AC compressor, leaky radiator, worn-out wheel bearings, pitted windshield, ...... to deal with eventually. For all these types of things there are monetary expenses, time expenses (mine), plus plus annoyance considerations. I consider the annoyance factor to be an economic factor (how much would I pay to avoid the inconvenience and annoyance of a breakdown of some sort, or the annoyance of being without a vehicle, or the annoyance of doing the repair myself when I would rather be playing golf).

Reply to
NowItsWhatever