1995 Neon Problem

The original downstream O2 (after the cat) sensor was broken off by ice. Since then I have put 3 Canadian Tire downstream O2 sensors in about 3 months apart and I just replaced my first Mopar downstream O2 sensor. Why do they keep going bad. My second Canadian Tire O2 sensor left my stranded by causing the engine to flood, every time I hit the gas it was like hitting the brake instead. Once the car cooled down it would temporarly work. My Mopar O2 sensor just left me stranded by doing the same thing. The only difference this time is that the engine light never came on. I just replaced it with a new Mopar O2 sensor under warrenty but now the engine light comes on for a few short trips and then shuts off for a few short trips and then repeats. I have a hole in the top of my gas tank and a bad rear main seal if this matters. Why does this continue to happen? What is causing th O2 sensors to go bad? Is it something else? Anyone had this problem? Anything helps! Thanks.

Chris

1995 Plymouth Neon 2.0 SOHC, 5-Speed 219k
Reply to
Chris & Mary

the wiring harness is probaly full of oil from your leak. maybe it is not the sensor. have seen many problems with oil on the wiring harness. need to pull harness apart and look for bad areas where the wiring is melted together from the oil. go to junk yard and get new harness may have troubles finding one for that year and that is in good shape. good luck bryan

Reply to
sackiss

hi, I have a 95 neon also engine light on mostly all the time, once or twice when it is cold the motor bogs until it is warmed up, they told me it was the manifold sensor, of course I haven't fixed it yet over here in Can. that costs about $250, so a bog once in a while isn't too bad, if it gets worse i'll change it

Reply to
Honda Rider

Use the Mopar Sensors only. Do not use Bosch. For some reason, in the Neon, it will eat Bosch O2 sensors like crazy.

Check your onboard Diagnostic codes..

It will give you a better idea what to look for.

Reply to
wiggs-spamaid