1997 caravan oil light keeps comming on

i have a 1997 grand caravan with the v6 engine we've had a slow oil leak for a while know, put in about a quart every few weeks, but recently the oil light has begun comming on when the rpm's in the engine drop. it only does this when the engine is warm (say after

10-15 minutes of driving) then whenever the rpm's drop (slowing down, parking) the oil light will come on, and when the car is shifted back into park sometimes that shuts off the light. i have also noticed that accelerating also shuts off the oil light. I have dipped the engine and it seems to be over full (oil about 3 inches above the full mark on the dipstick.) is this car safe to drive? any ideas on what may be happening?

puzzled

Reply to
manuel labor

It is almost certainly simply in need of a new oil pressure switch - very common. Usually due to an internal leak in the switch throwing off its calibrated trip point off, it trips at a pressure slightly higher than what it is supposed to - the lowest running pressure it will see is at idle in gear. When you pop it into neutral or park, the engine idle speed increases just enough to open the switch and turn the light off.

Replace the pressure switch. But for peace of mind, you might also have the pressure checked.

Bill Putney

Hi...

Not a mechanic, furthest thing from it - an old retired electrical guy, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt...

In this case just wondering if no one else noticed the dipstick oil level being three inches over the full mark.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Good catch, Ken - I skipped right over that part. However, if that were going to cause problems, it would be in high speed engine operation (whipping/aeration). Perhaps someone kept adding oil thinking incorrectly that that would fix a low oil pressure situation (sometimes people equate *level* of oil with oil *pressure*). But I think probably in this case, the over-fill of oil is unrelated to the oil light coming on only at idle in gear (I could of couse be wrong).

Bill Putney