1997 Chrysler Intrepid Check EngineLlight

I have had to get the Oxygen Sensor code reset twice on my 3.3 Intrepid .The problem is that their is two Oxygen Sensors on the car how can to tell which one is bad....One person told me not to worry about changing the sensor unless I had to have a E Test

Is their any diagrams of where the Oxygen Sensors are located on the car....

Thanks

Reply to
Don Farrow

Each sensor has its own codes. Find out what the code is and you know what sensor is bad (or atleast where the problem is showing up). You do want to get the problem resolved for better fuel economy.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Resetting the code does little to correct the original fault that caused the light to illuminate to begin with.

Actually there are four oxygen sensors on your car; left upstream, right upstream, left downstream, right downstream. Identifying a faulty oxygen sensor requires code retrieval with a compatible scan tool and/or circuit waveform examination with a labscope.

That would be a person that you shouldn't listen to anymore. A shorted oxygen sensor can and will lead to over fueling of the engine, flooding over of the sparkplugs and/or cylinder wall and piston/ring damage from the raw gasoline washing the lubricant off of the cylinder walls/out of the rings. Then again, given the approach so far, the "oxygen sensor codes" you mention could be caused by just about anything.

Two will be in the exhaust (each side) between the engine and the catalytic converters, two will be in the exhaust pipes after the catalytic convertors.

FWIW, flicking the ignition on and off three times [to extract codes] will be of absolutely zero use in locating the problem. You're going to need the services of someone with the proper equipment and the necessary training.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

What do you suggest.. What do you think would cause the oxygen code to show up....If I change the sensors will that solve the problem..

Don

Reply to
Don Farrow

I'm not Neil but I would suggest you find out what code you have first. AutoZone will read them for free if you have their store in your area. Replace the oxygen sensor that the code indicates is bad and go from there if the problem isn't resolved.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Seek the services of someone with the proper equipment and the necessary training.

There are a multitude of oxygen sensor codes and a multitude of problems that can cause them to set; Opens, shorts, slow response time, lean, rich, cat-con efficiency to name but a few.

That's like asking a doctor if removing your tonsils will cure your sore throat.

Finding the cause of the problem and correcting it will solve the problem. The first step in finding the cause is to extract the manufacturer specific trouble codes from the PCM.

Reply to
Neil Nelson