Replace Interior Door Handle-96

I have a 96 Camry with a broken interior driver side door handle.

I attempted to "Gorilla" glue this handle and it seems to be working for the time being, although I have my doubts about it lasting.

Anyway, I've searched the internet and found replacement handles and directions how to remove the plastic piece directly behing the handle.

MY QUESTION:

** To replace this interior handle do I also need to remove the door panel? or will I be able to replace the handle after I remove the plastic piece behind the handle. Exactly how does the handle install?

Any other specifics regarding this repair would be appreciated. I am very handy with home related fixes but not too good with automotive type repairs.

Reply to
seagar

There is a very specific method to getting that plastic trim off, but its real easy if you get it right. As far as removing the door panel, I don't remember if you have to or not. Anyway, remove the screw that is under the little plastic cover behind the handle. Then take a flathead screwdriver and insert it between the plastic trim and the top of the lock lever, and pry the screwdriver down. The top edge of the trim will pop loose, then you can do the same thing on the bottom edge with the screwdriver to get it all the way off. Once you have that off and the new part in your hand, you should be able to look at it and tell if the handle comes right off without any more work or not. Post if you need a hand.

Reply to
qslim