2000 Concorde LXi Driver's Door Window

Looking for advice on fixing my driver's side door power window. I have the factory manual but a few things aren't clear.

Q1) Pg 23-44 "Front Door Trim Panel" tells me to remove the speaker flag. What's a "flag"?

Q2) Same section, item 9, refers to a "trim tool". Where can I find a picture and can it be rented? (I assume this is a flat metal strip like a "slim jim" for opening car doors. but I'm not sure.

I'm mechanically inclined, read manuals thoroughly before I start such projects, but have never removed a door panel. I'm not positive my problem is the motor but I have a hunch it is. When the panel is off, I should know pretty quickly by hooking up a spare battery to the window motor.

Any advice from the experts would be appreciated. It there's a Chrysler mechanic out there who's had significant experience with these doors, what's the probability the problem is a motor as opposed to a switch? In other words, which has the high failure rate?

Reply to
John Gregory

The "flag" is the little pointed bat ear looking thing at the front of the door at the lower corner of the window opening (just above where the panel ends). Depending on which audio system is in your Concorde, that flag could be empty, or it could have a very small speaker in it, but in either case it does have to be removed to get the panel off.

Besides a bunch of screws, there are two plastic (round serrated) retainer clips holding the panel to the door. The trim tool is to pop those loose. Ideally you would use that, but it's totally unneccessary. With the little bit of pull force it takes to pull those clips from the door, no damage will be done by just pulling on the panel. (If you find that they don't come out with light to moderate force, then STOP - you probably haven't removed all of the screws.) Those clips are re-usable a certain number of times, but you might want to drop by the dealer and ask for what they call the "white" clips - two per door - they'll probably charge for them. Do not get the generic ones from the "Help" aisle of the auto parts store - they are far inferior (materials) to factory clips and may or may not be sized right.

Also, you may find that the 3 screw holes in the panel along the bottom edge are cracked and broken out - if not already, chances are about 95% that they will be eventually. Chrysler sells some clips (kind of special purpose rectangular fender washers, factory-painted to match your interior) to cover the cracks and hold the panel in place. If you need part numbers, let me know - we've found on the forums that the Chrysler dealer parts people don't know about these clips or pretend not to be able to find the part numbers to order them even though all the info. is in a Chrysler TSB. Even if your panels (drivers and passenger) aren't cracked yet, I highly advise that you put these clips on as a preventative (i.e., once they crack, if left for a long time, they get so broken out that the clips might not even work - the clips would prevent the cracking in the first place).

I happen to have a spare motor/regulator on my shelf - from a salvage door when I had to replace my Concorde's driver's door due to an accident. I tested the motor and it is good. Let me know if interested.

Judging from the 300M ezBoard and

forums, both can be problematic, but the motor is far more likely. They have replaced a lot of them under warranty - is that a possibility for you? BTW - I also have the 5-switch panel from the salvage door too, but you might prefer to get that from the dealer - they aren't that expensive.

BTW - come on over to the 300M and/or dodgeintrepid.net forums. There are no good Concorde-only forums that I have been able to find, but those two groups welcome us - same cars mechanically and electrically, so the advice is transferrable.

Bill Putney

Even dealers seem to have trouble getting the panels back on flush and tight. My guess is that when they pull the panels instead of using the trim tool to remove the clips, something gets distorted. I suggested to my dealer last time that he looks carefully where the clips attach to see if they need to be pushed in a bit. Magically the door panels were on tight that time but I don't know if it was cause and effect or just luck.

Also, the motors and regulators went bad in some of those cars so consider replacing both. Replacing the weather stripping might be a good idea too if it sometimes gets glued to the glass inhot weather.

Reply to
Art

Possibly your clips just needed replacing so they would push in and hold tight, and they replaced them when you said something (or they just made an effrot to push them in tighter). I think Chrysler says they are good for 3 remove/re-insert cycles, but I don't think it's that exact - fact is they get a little more ragged and less firm each time they are pulled out.

Bill Putney

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to