2000 Dodge Neon Tranny Fliud

I have a 2000 dodge neon Automatic trans. The pan is leaking, so I plan on dropping the pan and cleaning off the RTV and then of course adding in the proper amount and type of fluid.

What tranny fluid is needed? I do not have an owners manual. In addition, how much fluid is dropped when I pull it? Short of measuring the old fluid, so I can ballpark how much to put back in.

Thank you.

Reply to
ULB

ATF+4

Probably 4 quarts, have 5 on hand to be safe. Your local dealer can sell you a reusable pan gasket that eliminates the RTV monkey business.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Thanks for the help. I assume once I get all the RTV off, I can just use the straight gasket with ZERO RTV? I have heard of people using a small amount of RTV on the corners to better hold the gasket? Overkill, Bad idea?

Many thanks!

Reply to
ULB

Good advice from Aarcuda. In addition, thoroughly clean the gunk out of the bottom of the pan, make sure you get ALL the RTV off so it seals right, and change the filter while you are in there too. I've found that most Chrysler transmissions take 6 quarts after draining the pan completely. Neon may be less as I have no experience with that one.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I've used the Chrysler composite metal and silicone gasket and had no leaks or other trouble. I have re-used these twice thus far and again no problems. They told me they were re-useable up to three times when I bought them for 3 vehicles. (I change my fluid and filter every 30-35K miles.)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Correct.

Bad idea and not needed.

Glad to help.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I will add that there is probably a roughly 1 inch diameter round disk magnet in one corner of the pan that is held from sliding by 2 shallow dimples stamped in the metal. It needs to be removed, inspected for shavings, and then repeatedly wiped off with a paper towel or piece of cloth till it is clean as it normally will have a small amount of brown/black gunk on it that used to be friction material from the clutches.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

Thank you Gentlemen,

You guys are awesome!

Reply to
ULB

Wouild it not be more very fine particles metallic (silvery/grey) colored? That is my recollection of what I have seen.

Bill Putney

Reply to
mr.som ting wong

Reply to
mr.som ting wong

Could be the last time I did one the lighting conditions weren't exactly great. :)

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

Not if you tell them to order the metal sandwich gasket P/N 5011113AA or 5011114AA (depending on whether tranny is 31TH or 42LE) according to Chrysler TSB no. 21-05-99 Rev. A. I hope you're not suggesting a dealer would refuse to order an OEM part that a customer with CIF asks them to order. Never be limited by the dealer's ignorance or lack of willingness to cooperate.

The nice thing about the metal gasket is there's no stuck pan issues and time wasted scraping of old RTV on subsequent pan drops.

(For future reference, the corresponding gasket for the 41TE/AE tranny is 5011115AA)

Bill Putney