2001 PT Cruiser Problems??????

Recently bought one. Love it! Anything in particular I should watch for? Anybody have anything positive or negative to say?

Bud

Reply to
BudE

I love my 2001 PT Limited.

Look for worn bushings in the front and rear sway bars. I replaced them with urethane and aftermarket front links. Easy do it yourself job. Big improvement. Even one of my rear links broke, but I replaced both with OEM parts.

Use Ceramic pads in the front to eliminate the OEM pad dust if you don't like darkened dirty wheels.

Noise in the steering system was cured with a fluid flush.

Better tires are a real improvement. I really like the Goodyear TripleTread's I have on it now.

Replaced the low beam bulbs with Toshiba made inferred reflecting type bulbs for a big improvement in already good lighting without an extra current draw on the system.

That's about it in 70,000 miles or so since new. I do use Mobil One 5W-30 with good success.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Only problems with my 2001 PT were the following:

An onboard computer died while under warrenty, thank goodness-

The cable that drives the speedometer had to be replaced, as it got crimped in production. The speedometer became posessed, and had a mind of it's own at 12000 miles.

and the air bag sensors-driver's seat and passenger needed to be replaced.

Otherwise, just hit 90000 miles, and still going strong. next year I'll replace the water pump and timing belt.

Enjoy it!

Reply to
pe2

"The cable that drives the speedometer had to be replaced, as it got crimped "

Who told you that crock? That vehicle has no cable for the speedo, Chrysler Hasnt used a speedometer cable in years.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Hi...

Perhaps he was referring to electrical "cable"?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Yes-

I meant the electrical cable. Not the old fashioned speedometer cable. If I'm not mistaken, is the electrical cable similar to a HDD cable in a computer??? that is, since everything is run by a computer on the PT?

Reply to
pe2

Only other tip: The OEM plugs and wires should be changed at about 40,000 miles. I recommend Champion dual platnium plugs and quality after market wires, including those sold by MOPAR performance.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Thanks much

Reply to
BudE

Reply to
philthy

I'm not sure I understand this response.

Reply to
BudE

LOL me either

Reply to
maxpower

Could you explain more about the air bag sensor failure? My 2001 PT Cruiser has had the air bag light on for months - sometimes it stays off for days though. My local Chrysler dealer did a quick reconnect of the wires, but said if the problem comes back the front passenger air bag needs to be replaced - at over $700. Have not been to another dealer for a second opinion and have let this slide since I do not have anyone ride with me. What was it that went wrong in your PT?

Aside from this, that is the only major problem I have had with my 2001 since buying new and now have 52k miles on it.

pe2 wrote:

Reply to
do not spam

If the dealer told you the air bag needed replacing, it could be due to a bad connection at the air bag itself, has nothing to do with the sensor. If thats the case you may want to have someone cut out the connector and hardwire it.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I think he intended to say, in response to what to watch out for: "Look out for others, hand up the cell phone, and drive."

Does that work?

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

bud i LOVE mine !!!! 01 pt turing 5 spd. and tonight i hit 99,000 miles and it runs like a champ with all the TLC i give it my wife has refered to it as the other women/lol. just make sure all the recalls have been done !! 2 of the first ones are big ones. fuel pump and fuel line. i drove this one off the lot and i tell my kids they will need to puchas 4 plots for me to be burried in it.buy the time my wife gets the next new car a yr and a half from now and the teenager getts donw with high school i will have about

500,000 miles !!!! i get any wheir from 25-28 miles pg. good luck

silver 01 pt

Reply to
SKU01PT