2002 300M PCV hose not sold separately

I changed the PCV valve on our car while I had the cross brace out to get at the brake booster, but the PCV valve end of the hose was rather hard, and I'm not sure that it's sealing well to the new PCV valve. The rubber hose is larger at the PCV valve end than at the end that goes to the water-jacketed section of metal tube -- and has a 90-degree bend in just a short length of hose -- so I'm not sure that sold-by-the-foot hose will work: it probably will kink. Went to the Chrysler dealer today to buy the genuine article, only to be told that they sell only the complete assembly with two rubber sections and the water-jacketed metal section for approx. $150!!

Any good suggestions for a way around this?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

take your old one to NAPA tell them you want to replace it end to end. they can get it done most likely.

Reply to
Rob

I had asked at NAPA, and they told me I'd have to go to the dealer.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

hm so they dont know how to put toether pieces and make one. too bad.

between fuel line, and pipe parts, most anything can be made.

Reply to
Rob

I've never messed with my PCV valve - not sure how you would even know that it needs replacing. Does the computer throw a code or something?

Is there enough hose before the bend so you could cut maybe 1/2" from the end of the hose (the hardened part) so you have a fresh (soft) section to connect to the valve?

Have a look here:

One suggestion - make the 90-bend with a short piece of metal pipe (something from the plumbing section of home despot or similar). Then all you need is a short length of straight tube.

Reply to
MoPar Man

I still think it would be tricky because of the different sizes of the hose at each end, and everything having to fit into just a few inches. I'm trying to think of what oil-resistant right-angle fitting I could get with different sizes on each arm.

I did Google the number that was stamped on the existing hose and found a picture at some online Chrysler/Mopar vendor's Web site that seemed to match what I needed but with the notation "Discontinued" .

Perhaps the simplest thing is to put a hose clamp on the PCV-valve end of the existing hose.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

The Owner's Manual does say to check it from time to time, but I don't recall how often. The usual way to check, as far as I recall, is to disconnect the hose with the engine running and check for suction by putting a finger over the end of the PCV valve. But in my case the PCV valve is not so easy to get at because of the cross member that runs almost immediately above it, and there is very little room to manipulate the hose to get it off. That's why I decided to replace it anyway ($6 or so) while it was more accessible. The old one did still rattle (good sign) but with a more muffled sound than the new one; IOW, it was getting a little gummed up.

Maybe I could try that.

I'll think about the suggestions there.

That metal fitting would have to have different diameters on each end.

Maybe I'll just put a hose clamp on the PCV-valve end of the hose.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I didn't know there was a heat exchanger on the PCV line. WTF is that for, and how does it work?

The service manual doesn't even talk about it!

Reply to
MoPar Man

I don't know what it's for. IIRC from what I read, the 3.2l engine uses a plain rubber hose.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy