Replaced my PCV valve.

Now there's 4 hours of my life I'll never get back. WTF, what a pain in the ass! The SOB that decided it's location is probably still laughing. Didn't make a bit of difference either. O'well. Removing the EGR valve was the toughest part. The section that goes into the intake manifold must be 8-9" long. That was a shock. Pulled it out and it coated with hardend sludge. Took a piece wire and started fishing out hunks of this sludge from the hole where the EGR tube goes. I pulled out over a hand full, chuncks that barely fit through the hole. And I thought my motor was well cared for.

-PM

95 4Runner V6
Reply to
Patrick Moore

Huh? It takes me about 1 minute. Of course, I just grab my long handled

45 degree curved end needle nose pliers, its a snap. We do this for free on our service.
Reply to
MDT Tech®

How about on my '94? I bet it would take at least four hours!

Bill Chesapeake, VA

Reply to
bill

I'm impressed! I can not even see it until I remove all the vacume hoses and EGR valve, etc... What I run into is having to remove something in order to remove something else, and that starts a chain reaction. I know where I'm going next time! So what do you know about all that sludge build up on the EGR tube?

-PM

Reply to
Patrick Moore

where is the pcv valve located. i bought one but never was able to install it on my 92 4runner.

Reply to
Cruizer9

Your PCV isn't located all by it's lonesome at the front of the passenger valve cover?

Reply to
Bard

I bought a new PCV for my '94 4runner, but it's buried on the right side valve cover, near the firewall, under the intake manifold. Some day I may get to it. I don't think it's ever been replaced, now at 145,000 miles. Many things are suspect now that I have been experiencing slight hesitation while starting off.

Bill

Reply to
bill

It comes out of the top of the passenger side valve cover. The valve cover is located under the intake chamber (polished alum housing). From the rear of the intake chamber, pass side, you have a rubber hose that runs along the firewall to the power brake booster. Moving towards the front there is a "air suction" valve. It screws into the intake chamber and has 2 or 3 small vac lines connected to it. Directly under the "air suction" valve there is a ~3/4" OD rubber hose which comes out from the intake chamber and bends back around, underneath towards the valve cover and connects to the PCV valve, which sticks out from the top of the valve cover. It's just held in with a rubber grommet. Use a flashlight.

-PM

Reply to
Patrick Moore

Bill, the 3.0 V6 is a bear if you dont have the long needle nose pliers.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Kinda normal, it needs to be cleaned out every once isn a while. Back in the old days, they'd turn on a lihgt at 80K intervals, now you'll get a check engine light on newer models. Dig it out with a screwdriver, soak it...

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Thanks!

Another weekend project.

Bill

Reply to
bill

Thanx for such detailed instructions PM. I will give it a try. My 4runner has

152,000 miles and the PCV valve was never changed.
Reply to
Cruizer9

will a plugged egr valve line or a faulty pcv valve cause performance problems? i've noticed a loss of performance on my 92 4runner. feels like i'm pulling a boat is the best way i can describe it. i've already replaced the air filter, distributor cap/rotor, plug wires and also had the clutch replaced recently. will check on the plugs soon.

Reply to
Cruizer9

You better get used to it, that boat is permanetly attached. Years

90-95 V6 has 150 hp and 180 in torque. Curb weight is 3760 lbs. Compare it to 96-01 with 183 hp (V6) and 217 in torque. And its curb weight is 3440-3704 lbs. On the 90-95's, fuel economy and acceleration are the two major "against" according to Consumer Guide. Anyway, my PCV was very dirty but not clogged, didn't seem to make a difference. Now, new plugs made a big diff to me. They were in much worse shape than I expected. Over the weekend, I braved the fuel filter. I don't know which was worse. The fuel filter was another 4 hour project. I'm glad I did it, it made a big difference. It looked like someone had tried to replace it before because on one side, the fuel line fitting was pretty rounded off from a wrench slipping. Plus the outlet tube was kinked from a hard twist. The thing was covered with surface rust and a bolt was missing at the top mount. Anyway, it was better to do it now then in the middle of winter. In your case, I'd at least take the EGR valve off and clean it. The tube that goes in the top of the air chamber will probably be covered with carbon/sludge, mine was caked. I have noticed I get much better gas mileage.

Good Luck

-PM

Reply to
Patrick Moore

The fuel filter, new plugs/wires/cap/rotor, and advancing the timing a bit worked wonders for my '94 V6 4x4 xtracab truck. Compared to my '01 4Runner, it's still a bit of a dog. But with 180K miles and running strong, who can complain?

Reply to
SS