2002 PT Cruiser miss

I had to run an errand on my lunch just now, and halfway up the highway my engine started missing. At idle it runs really rough, and the engine light has blinked a few times. How likely is it that I fouled a plug? I know the stock ones are reportedly junk, but I've never had one give out like that. Any suggestions for a decent plug that my local parts store will stock?

The car has 52k miles on it.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve Moore

After about 30,000 miles the OEM Champion conventional plugs should be changed. The best choice is the Champion dual plat plug for this application. It should last another 70,000 miles or so. Changing the wires to a decent set is also a good idea while you are at it.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Its not the plugs but the plug wires, replace both at the same time.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I've heard of plug and/or wire problems from many PT owners. However, I went to 70,000 miles with my original plugs and wires on my 2001 PT. It would occasionally idle a tad rough but nothing but a second or two blip then would smooth out.

Definitely do both plugs and wires while you're in there. Have also heard others gapping the plugs between 0.40 and 0.45 rather than what the factory suggests (non-turbo engines) to get rid of the rough idle.

=================

Reply to
CopperTop

Reply to
philthy

Not true. The TSB you are referring to 08-008-04 is for 2003 and 2004 year only.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Update:

The car has a dead cylinder. I could see metal shavings in the intake as soon as I pulled it, and the number 2 plug was a complete gunky mess. I cleaned everything up, put in new plugs and wires, and it didn't help as I knew it wouldn't. Tomorrow I'll have it towed to the dealership. I guess this will be a good test of the 7/70 powertrain warranty.

Reply to
moore.324

Something is missing here, umm was there an overheat condition? noise at one time ?

Reply to
maxpower

"maxpower" wrote in news:H4WdnXunm5QMrQLenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

No noise, no overheat ever. It just started missing as I was cruising the freeway at about 65mph.

According to the SD, the cylinder had two bad valves. I need to talk to the mechanic for more info. I can't figure out how the valves could go bad, leave metal shavings in the process, and neither the head nor engine need replaced. It is supposed to be ready for pick up today.

My cost is $350 which includes an injector and other misc parts not covered under warranty.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Moore

Injector should be covered by the federal pollution warranty!

If the injector failed it should not have burnt the valves and if it did from too lean a condition, only the exhaust valve should have been impacted. If the plug failed, then too much gas could have washed off the oil impacting the rings, but that is not your story either.

Something strange here and it does not make sense that it is not covered by the 7/70 warranty or the pollution control warranty. You should only have to perhaps pick up the cost of an oil change and plugs (but again, you just put in new plugs).

Please fill us in on this one.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard