2004 Sebring 4 cyl questions

A couple of questions/comments to the group on my wife's 2004 Sebring with

2.4L:

1) When I got it home, I was looking under the hood and noticed that the air intake snorkel attached to the upper rad mount had a WIRING HARNESS running right through the middle of it. Given that the snorkel inlet is only about

4" x 3/4", this is a significant restriction. Moved it right out of the way and the car seems much happier. Got me to thinking though - given the redesigned head and intake that is tuned for low-end torque, is there anything I can do to "uncork" the intake on this car for a little better high-end? It's kind of too bad they messed with it - I swear that our Company pool car 1998 Breeze has more snap.

2) Anyone know what the metal plate/cover that sits on the intake manifold downstream of the throttle body is for? It looks like a mount for a blow-off valve?

3)There are two hoses that connect to the cam cover. One has what looks like the PCV valve in it and connects to the throttle body, but the other connects directly to the intake snorkel downstream of the air filter. Given that this hose has no restrictions, what good is the PCV valve?

4) Anything else I should know about this motor?

Thanks.

Jeff Falkiner

95 neon - currently waiting for open-heart surgery to fix a coolant breach 99 Intrepid - the Green Monster 04 Sebring - the Silver Bullet
Reply to
Jeff Falkiner

Jeff... it is what it is.. a 4 cyclinder in a Sebring

Just enjoy the ride.. if it was horsepower you were looking for should have gotten a Crossfire or a 300C with a Hemi! :)

stan

snipped-for-privacy@hirise.com

Reply to
The Commander

The two hoses are at totally different points in the intake system. The PCV hose is on the engine side of the throttle body. The breather tube is on the upstream side of the throttle body. You have to think in terms of what the vacuum levels are at those two points relative to the crankcase pressure situation at any given throttle and engine operating conditions to figure out what the flows will be. During throttle-closed conditions, air flows into the breather tube from the snorkel (IOW, a small part of the idle air is tapped off the snorkel and ends up back in the intake plenum thru the PCV valve and hose - same starting point, same end point, one took a detour thru the crankcase).

During WOT, you have less vacuum in the intake plenum and more in the snorkel (than you have at idle), but both hoses are venting air to the intake from the crankcase while it is generating maximum blow by (which would otherwise tend to pressurize the crankcase).

The PCV valve blocks any positive pressure pulses from backfires feeding back into the crankcase. The partial blocking by the throttle body and the more open nature of the snorkel back thru the air filter isolate that hose from major effects of backfires (making it into the crankcase).

Bill Putney

Yes, but I would have been asking the same questions about the Hemi - "what's this" and "can I economically get a bit more power".

Cheers! Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Falkiner

Thanks Bill. As usual your comments are well thought out. Makes total sense once someone explains it. Had I thought about it more before putting fingers to keyboard (a common affliction in this group), I probably could have figured it out. It's still good to know that I can some here and get my questions answered. Having been a lurker and occasional poster for years, I know there are some good knowledgeable posters here.

Jeff Falkiner

95 neon - currently waiting for open-heart surgery to fix a coolant breach 99 Intrepid - the Green Monster 04 Sebring - the Silver Bullet
Reply to
Jeff Falkiner

The sebring is significantly larger and therefore heavier so i would expect it to seem and feel more sluggish.

That plate is probably a cover for where the EGR valve wouild sit if your engine was equipped. Rather than run off 2 different castings its more economical to produce one and cap the one which doesn't need the EGR valve (non california).

Reply to
David Cole