300C's as beautiful as in the ads

And everything else from GM's 'total recall' styling phase.

Reply to
Brent P

I stand corrected.

Chris

Reply to
C.H.

It is way too soon to tell if the 300C styling is ugly or not. Give it 10 years. If in

10 years the things are considered classics then you can say the 300C styling was revolutionary and bold. If in 10 years the things are worthless junk heaps, then Dan can say the styling was ugly as sin.

I personally think the things are butt-ugly.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

| > > DS | >

| > You are in the minority in your beliefs. I am sorry. | >

| | It is way too soon to tell if the 300C styling is ugly or not. Give it 10 | years. If in | 10 years the things are considered classics then you can say the 300C | styling | was revolutionary and bold. If in 10 years the things are worthless junk | heaps, then | Dan can say the styling was ugly as sin. | | I personally think the things are butt-ugly. | | Ted | |

Me too. But they're selling well here.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I've had people follow me in parking lots trying to get close to see my

300C. When they do they all say how great they think it is. They are selling very well here on Long Island, some delaers getting far above sticker price for them.
Reply to
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

I agree with you. That's what makes the PT Cruiser such a neat car. But that's not what Chrysler did with the 300C, as I see it.

Look at a 300C from the rear. Now look at a last-generation Mazda Protege from the rear. Taillamps almost look like they were lifted intact from the Protege onto the 300C, and the trunk lid and rear bumper are almost identical except for the overall size/scale.

Side profile is that of a mid-'90s/late-'90s Cadillac. Nothing original here.

Front view is equal parts generic Bentley and '80s Lincoln. Ptewph.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

That's yoour right, just as it is my right to see the 300C as another example of a true nonconformist car.

It is very hard for me to explain why I like a specific car and dislike another one. I have always been interested in automotive design and I also freely admit to not having a mainstream taste at all. Even though your taste in cars doesn't seem to be mainstream either that doesn't mean we have to have the same likes and dislikes.

In the 300C I like the proportions and the front. The side view reminds me of the early 60s Lincoln Continental, which I think is one of the best looking big sedans ever. Chrysler should try to make a four-door Convertible out of the 300C. About the rear you are right, they should have been more courageous and created something unique there.

Chris

Reply to
C.H.

Oh, are we talking about likes and dislikes? I thought we were discussing the notion of whether the 300C is unique and original or not.

Yes. Absolutely yes.

They really should've.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Maybe I came into the thread too late, but I saw an argument about whether it is ugly or not.

About being unique, you will find very few cars nowadays that look completely different from anything else on the road. In its class IMO the Chrysler does look different, specifically from the soaplike asian styling, and (also IMO) it looks more expensive than it actually is.

I would really love to see a 300C done by Chip Foose or Trepanier, just to see what could have been if they had had the courage to pull the design throug all the way to the end.

Chris

Reply to
C.H.

I have some pictures of *very* interesting '60s Dodges styled by Italians.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Dodge Firearrow?

Chris

Reply to
C.H.

Nothing so commonly known. I'll try to scan some pics when I get time.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Actually in person I don't think the Aztek is that bad. It photographs very poorly though.

Reply to
Art

If you get around to scan them, could you send them to me (email is in the header)? I am always interested in rare gems :-)

Chris

Reply to
C.H.

My bro and I saw a few Aztecs at a photo shoot at Lake Tahoe before they were introduced. We both thought they were some heavily camouflaged prototypes, but they turned out not to be ...

Chris

Reply to
C.H.

Actually, no! It was a Chrysler design long before Bentley or Lincoln took the look.

Reply to
RPhillips47

Yes, they should have. The rear needs fins, fake rocket engines, or something. One of my main gripes about the 300C is the aesthetic difference between the front and rear. The front has this retro thing going on. The rear is too modern. It's like there was a team designing the front end, a team designing the back end, and the two teams did not speak to each other. It looks like 2 separate cars, depending on which end it is viewed from. The 300M has the same problem, except in that case the front end is just plain butt-ugly.

Reply to
Hmmm...

Where in Long Island are you referring to?

Just wait a few years when everyone else comes out with RWD cars and we will see if that interest is maintained. The powertrain specs are very nice for this car, we won't know how many people who are buying it are just putting up with the styling to get the powertrain.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

The rear view of the 300C has styling cues from the old Imperials.

Reply to
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

in

Mid to eastern.

Next fall the horsepower of the V8 will be up to 405. How many other cars in this price class will offer that? Personally, I like both the styling and the powertrain. It's the styling that catches people's eyes first, then they become interested in the powertrain.

Reply to
Peter A. Stavrakoglou