300M Sway Bar Links

My sister's 2000 300M was just diagnosed today with bad sway bar links.

Three Questions: #1 How hard are they to replace? I have found several postings saying that it can be done in ten minutes each but the dealer wants about $100 labor so something doesn't add up.

#2 What is the consequence of not replacing them at this time. The noise isn't bad but it does get annoying when you are going slow on bumpy pavement,

#3 She has the Chrylser extended warranty. Dealer claims these aren't covered as they are normal wear items. Personally I have never heard of front end parts being considered normal wear items. She's going to call Chrysler warranty about it but I was wondering if any others here have had experience with this.

Thanx Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

1 hour job for a first-time DIY'er, 20 minutes tops total for both sides for someone in a shop with the proper tools. Remove two nuts per side, remove end link, put new end link on, install and tighten nuts. Everything easily accessible, especially with a lift (for DIY'er leave car on ground turn steering wheel to full right lock to do left side, full left lock to do right side, or might be slightly easier with wheels off and both front wheels off the ground at the same time to relieve all sway bar pressure). The only potential problem is that the nuts might be a little tight (or rusty) on the studs, and the studs could turn in the sway bar without lossening the nut - but easily taken care of as Chrysler extended the studs out and made them hex shape to perfectly mate with a small wrench (either 5/16" or 8mm - socket, box, or open end) to hold them still while turning the nut.

Only consequence is noise - no damage, unless one were to come completely apart (not very likely).

I don't know about the warranty.

Bill Putney

Read the service agreement. Whether it is covered depends on the one she has. Should be in her glove box.

Reply to
Art

The link on my '99 300M broke a couple weeks ago. At first I though it was the brackets on the muffler that broke and was making the rattling noise which was more apparent when going over dips and bumps. Took it to a muffler shop last weekend and they found the link to be broken - they welded it for $9 and its been OK so far. What kind of damage can happen if a broken link is not repaired? thanks Mazza

Reply to
Mazza

Reply to
mic canic