Sway Bar Links

Hello, All,

The rear sway bar of my 93 camry LE, 4 cylinders, can be moved from left to right for about half an inch. The bushings are dry and need to be replaced, the links can also be turned. I am wondering if the links need to be replaced too. Do you know how to test if a link is bad? It is very hard to find repalcement rear sway bar links. Locar parts stores such as Advance Auto Parts do not have rear links.

Thanks a lot.

Jingyuan

Reply to
Jingyuan Zhang

Links are expensive, bushings are cheap. Plus you'll probably have to go the the dealer for the links, but there are lots of online genuine Totyota parts at discounts. The recommended test for links is to remove them from the car, hold one end in a vice (padded jaws) rotate one end three times and then on the fourth revolution measure resistance in inch pounds against the specification. Probably, overly expensive and unnecessary, but I replaced the front sway bar links when the rubber boots cracked and leaked a small amount of grease. Personally, I would not replace the rear sway bar links unless the boots leaked grease even if there was some wear at the links. Bushings are another story. Inexpensive, easy to replace, make a big improvement. If the bushings are even questionable, I would replace them. I replaced the front bushings just because they were squeaking from being dry. Try using some silicone grease with the new bushings.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus