5.2 V8 Oil filter question

Well, that settles it. Now all you have to do is post the "lots of evidence" you claim supports your position and the debate will end.

If you intend for your opinion to mean anything, post the "evidence". John

Reply to
John Kunkel

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@computer.org:

Most of this grew out of the 50's and 60's when mechanics rebuilt engines instead of replacing engines with prebuilt engines. Many said they could tell any engine which had used Quaker state because of the sludge buildup. Quaker state changed their oil long before many posters in this group were born. The paraffin oil stuff began to circulate many years after the sludge thing had disappeared. I was a teenager in the fifties and believe at the time Quaker State did have a problem, but this was solved long ago and like all things it continues to be repeated.

Reply to
tango

Years ago I used Frams - when they were actually filters. Now they are just JUNK and I use Mopars - made by Hayes Dayna. Same as Wix, Napa Gold, Motorcraft, and AC Delco. Good filters.

Hastings are good too, but a lot harder to find.(at least around here)

Reply to
clare

My 1986 B-250 with 318 motor, the upper valve noise was loud when first started. That was with the Fram oil filter. Switch to NAPA silver and it is quiet when I start it now. This was after reading and oil filter study at this site.

Changing the brand of oil filter realy did work.

Warren

Reply to
warren

You didn't notice that the words 'Pennsylvania Based' were in quotes :-)

Its one of the newer Pennzoil lines, not their basic stuff which remains pretty much junk (and of course, I know its no longer Pennsylvania Based at all).

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Rick Blaine

I'm curious why you call Pennzoil junk. What is in it that sets it apart? Today it isn't much more than another trademark of Shell.

Reply to
Greg

I guess its no more "junk" than any other ultra low-end oil that just barely meets the API standards. And as I said, some of the newer Pennzoil lines get very, VERY good ratings on bobistheoilguy's forums where folks have had oil analyses done on it before and after use.

Further reading there indicates that Valvoline Max Life is now on the "junk" list too since they seem to have cut way back on a number of critical additives that help maintain total base number (TBN).

Reply to
Steve