86 daytona voltage reg. location??

My 86 Daytona (2.2 turbo) charging system seems to have gone kaput. I have replace the chrysler alternator, (replacement has tested good), tested the battery (good). Seems to be some question on if the voltage regulator is internal to the alternator. Autozone shows I should have an external one about 3'x3', but I can't locate it anywhere. Firewall and left inner fender were where I was recommended to look, but I even crawled under to look around. Is this thing hidden or possibly internal? If external, can anyone tell me where it would be hiding? Thanks

Backally Bob

Reply to
Backally Bob

Relying on AutoZone for component ID/location and diagnostic procedures -- and for "remanufactured" alternators -- is a sure recipe for continued/repeated car problems.

The voltage regulator on your '86 is built into one of the two engine control modules. The prescribed fix if voltage regulation fails is to replace the computer. It's easier and much more economical simply to install an external voltage regulator. I'll repost the procedure if you promise to quit using AutoZone.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
<chef_rwmiller