Generator light out...

Hi all-

Newly acquired 79 Super Beetle convertible...the generator/idiot light isn't working at all.

I've confirmed that the bulb is good by getting into the dash area and checking the bulb...everything there seems nice and tidy with no obvious signs of trouble. I've consulted my 1974 edition of Muir's book and the only clear thing to me is that things have changed a bit since I last owned a bug in 1972 (it was a '62) Truthfully, I don't know the difference between an alternator and a generator and have even had difficulty in identifying the voltage regulator, as the small *box* under my rear seat looks very different from any reference pictures I've seen. My box is small and square not the rounded dome shaped one I've seen in internet catalogs. Another assumption on my part is that the charging system is operating as the car has been started and driven for over a week with no obvious signs of not charging.

Anybody care to offer a returning bug owner a tip or two? Shed a little

**light** on the problem?Additionally, (not for this issue as I haven't given up on figuring it out) anybody care to make a recommendation for a good shop/mechanic in the Boston area???

Thanks in advance- GaryT

Reply to
GaryT

Thanks for the quick reply and for the good alternator/regulator info. That explains why my fogger relay doesn't look like the voltage regulators I've seen!

I'm getting 13.5V across the battery at a fast idle though I don't really know the rpm's. This confirms my initial suspicion that the charging system is ok and the fault with the dash light lies elsewhere. I guess that I need to trace the wire to the bulb to see where it leads.

Probably doesn't mean anything but my wire isn't blue. More Xmas colors...green with red stripe. I'll need to open the dash again and test the wire for voltage though I suspect that I won't find any as the bulb is confirmed as working but doesn't light.

Do you know off hand where the wire from the bulb terminates? From my quick attempts at tracing it , it seems to disappear into the harness along with a few hundred others off to ...well...er...wherever they go!

Thanks very much for the help and for the good info on your web site- GaryT

Reply to
GaryT

AFAIK the wire was always solid Blue. Take a look at the Alternator. Should be a single terminal "D+". See what color wire is on there; that's the one to the lamp.

The other side of the lamp goes to the Ignition switch (fuse) and will have 12V on it when the key is first turned on. That should be a Blk wire which is common to the Oil and Turn Signal lamps.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

GO Speedy, Go Speedy, Go Speedy, Go Speedy.........................................

-- Terry B AKA VDUBBS Buggin in Bama

- vdubbs at highstream dot net64 Bug Rauchen

--------------------

Reply to
TerryB

"GaryT" wrote in news:vWyUa.151317$N7.21141@sccrnsc03:

Additionally, (not for this issue as I

You want to talk to Steve at Metric Systems in Cambridge.

BTW an alternator produces alternating current. There are some electronics inside it that convert the electricity to DC.

Reply to
cloud8

Thanks for the tip... GaryT

Reply to