87 Plymouth Voyager radio wire harness

Hi All. I'm at my wits ends here. I recently purchased an aftermarket cd player for my 87 Plymouth Voyager (3.0L V6) and can't figure the radio's wiring harness out. I tracked all the speaker lead wires back and am pretty sure what's what there, but I'm having trouble getting power to my new cd player. I see that it's on the grey harness, but not sure what wire does what. I have looked for about a week now (even bought the repair manual for it) and can't find any real time to do any real sort of testing to find what I need. If somebody out there knows what wire does what in the wire harness, then please clue me in.

TIA

JW

Reply to
JW_Cleve

Before you get started you will need:

- A basic VOM meter

- Manual that came with your cd player

- Basic understanding of electronics (I'm sure you have. If not get some help)

- Tools (of course)

Set the meter to volts. With the key off, ground the black lead of meter. Test the each wire of the harness. The one that indicates 12v is memory (it may be yellow). Turn the key on. Test until you get another wire showing 12v (maybe red). This is the accessory power (main). Verify this by turning the key off and checking again. The main ground should be black. Set the meter to ohms and check continuity between other wires and chassis ground. DO NOT touch the first two wires found. You may damage the meter. The 0 ohms is ground and most likely black (or green). With the aid of the cd manual, key off, hook these wires up to the cd unit, ground wire first. The unit should power up when you turn the key on. The speakers will be trial and error.

There are some posts about speaker wiring which may help as well

Once you are comfortable with your findings, go ahead and start wiring. Some advice: Make Western Union splices, soldered and heat shring tubing. If you are doing this, take pride in your work and do a good job. The auto installers just twist the wires and tape it up. Don't trust these butchers.

Reply to
Phil Breau