89 Lebaron Timing Belt... HELP!

I bought an 89 lebaron convertible (2.5 turbo engine) on sat. Sun. night the car would not start... called the guy who I bought it from, who happened to be a mechanic, he looked at it and said the timing belt was broken. Now common knowledge is that the most labor intensive part of the job is getting to the part itself to reinstall the new one. I read somewhere that on my particular car, replacing the timing belt is done easily in about a few minutes. Is this true? I know nothing about cars, and have never really done any major repairs, except for an alternator on my old honda. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Reply to
Dan Erickson via CarKB.com

No, not exactly, though for those who have done it several times before, it can be gotten down to about 45 minutes or so.

This is not the job to learn about cars on.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Had an old Vauxhaul HC 2300 - dropped the belt heading south from Cape Breton. The dealer in Sydney had one in stock, and it took better than half an hour to have it delivered to me by "taxi" - and 10 minutes later I was back on the road. Some engines are real simple. Then there was the 88 3.0 New Yorker - seams like half the engine had to come apart on that one. Some engines are NOT so simple.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce